• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone receiving "regular" social security benefit from SSI?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oohlalaw

In California, if someone has started receiving their social security benefits after reaching full retirement age, is still employed and becomes disabled, can they either (a) change to SSI to receive a higher amount than their ss amount or (b) receive a supplement to their regular social security amount?

I'm asking because someone told me that once a person starts receiving social security after full retirement age, if they were to change to SSI, the maximum SSI amount would be the same as their social security amount. In other words, is it true that there is no extra financial help once someone has reached retirement age even if they are still working and become disabled?

Thanks in advance.

Onderzoek

In California, if someone has started receiving their social security benefits after reaching full retirement age, is still employed and becomes disabled, can they either (a) change to SSI to receive a higher amount than their ss amount or (b) receive a supplement to their regular social security amount?

I'm asking because someone told me that once a person starts receiving social security after full retirement age, if they were to change to SSI, the maximum SSI amount would be the same as their social security amount. In other words, is it true that there is no extra financial help once someone has reached retirement age even if they are still working and become disabled?

Thanks in advance.
You are confusing SSI with SSDI which is easy to do.

Social Security has three types of benefit: retirement, disability and survivor. Most people think of "regular" Social Security as the age 62 retirement benefit. Full retirement age is currently age 66. All require a minimum amount of work history and payment of FICA taxes. SSDI benefits are paid instead of retirement to people who meet the rules and become entitled before full retirement age. Social Security is not a needs based program, it is payable to the wealthy and the poor. This is a federal program.

SSI, Supplemental Security Income, is a needs based, welfare program for the disabled, over age 65 and blind. It can be paid to people who have never worked a day in their lives or paid a single FICA tax. It can be paid to new citizens who are over 65 or disabled and poor, meeting the income and resource rules. This is a federal program. If your Social Security Retirement or your Social Security Disability or any other income sources are too high, you can't get SSI. The federal amount is $721. California adds $156.40.SSI pays between $1.00 and $877.40 per month. Or nothing at all.

If you are already full retirement age it means you are over 65 and could qualify for some SSI if your income is low enough. Has nothing to do with being disabled.

California does have a temporary disability program called SDI that is administered by EDD. If you paid SDI taxes and your doctor completes the appropriate forms when you stop working, you might qualify for up to 12 months of SDI.

Of course, if you are still working you wouldn't qualify.

oohlalaw

Full retirement age is currently age 66. All require a minimum amount of work history and payment of FICA taxes. SSDI benefits are paid instead of retirement to people who meet the rules and become entitled before full retirement age.

California does have a temporary disability program called SDI that is administered by EDD. If you paid SDI taxes and your doctor completes the appropriate forms when you stop working, you might qualify for up to 12 months of SDI.

You are right that I confused SSI with SSDI.

This situation does refer to someone who is 66 (full retirement age). This is what I gathered from your reply, but if I'm wrong, let me know: If someone at/over full retirement age is receiving social security benefits and still working to earn extra income, then becomes disabled, the only possible recourse might come from SDI/EDD for one year max, and that this would only be possible if the person stops working altogether.

Thanks for your reply.

justalayman

Thanks.

How does one make a thread easier to find?

Also, I just noticed that one can "like" a thread; I'll start doing this.

if you post in a thread, when a thread is shown on the main board, it will have a little green circle with a check mark in it.

for me, that is the simplest way to track threads

commentator

You are confusing SSI with SSDI which is easy to do.

Social Security has three types of benefit: retirement, disability and survivor. Most people think of "regular" Social Security as the age 62 retirement benefit. Full retirement age is currently age 66. All require a minimum amount of work history and payment of FICA taxes. SSDI benefits are paid instead of retirement to people who meet the rules and become entitled before full retirement age. Social Security is not a needs based program, it is payable to the wealthy and the poor. This is a federal program.

SSI, Supplemental Security Income, is a needs based, welfare program for the disabled, over age 65 and blind. It can be paid to people who have never worked a day in their lives or paid a single FICA tax. It can be paid to new citizens who are over 65 or disabled and poor, meeting the income and resource rules. This is a federal program. If your Social Security Retirement or your Social Security Disability or any other income sources are too high, you can't get SSI. The federal amount is $721. California adds $156.40.SSI pays between $1.00 and $877.40 per month. Or nothing at all.

If you are already full retirement age it means you are over 65 and could qualify for some SSI if your income is low enough. Has nothing to do with being disabled.

OZ, this is a great post, as are all yours:) but I think maybe you mean "or" blind perhaps?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">