• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone on SSI rent a rent house from Me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mini me

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am rep payee for a family member. They live with us paying 350.00 a month room and board. Renters moved out and family member wants to move in. The rent would be 333.33 for rent plus utlities. How do i tell SS and will benefits be affected?. When other rents move in do i tell social security?

I really find it hard to deal with our local office.

We are looking for two other renters but right now we are paying the other two rents. Also they will get 100.00 in food stamps and probably pay 100 for electricty.

Can you rent to a family member on SSI in a rent house?

Thanks in advance.

BL

I am rep payee for a family member. They live with us paying 350.00 a month room and board. Renters moved out and family member wants to move in. The rent would be 333.33 for rent plus utlities. How do i tell SS and will benefits be affected?. When other rents move in do i tell social security?

We are looking for two other renters but right now we are paying the other two rents. Also they will get 100.00 in food stamps and probably pay 100 for electricty.

Thanks in advance.
As Rep. Payee you should know your duties to report changes .

Having said that , It appears you charge your family member for room and board and SSA is Ok with that .

If that is the case , when you report changes of other renter(s), it should not make a difference .

Still you have a duty to report.

mini me

thanks... i know i have to report it. My question is if we pay the other rent on the rent house till we get other renters does it effect SSI. Also our case person at SS told us to charge rent when she was in high school living with us. She said everyone does it. She is the one that came up with the $350.00 a month.With current tenents moved out family member asked to move in. OUr portion of the mortgage will be 666.00 till we get roommates. Will the roommates names etc have to be reported?

BL

thanks... i know i have to report it. My question is if we pay the other rent on the rent house till we get other renters does it effect SSI. Also our case person at SS told us to charge rent when she was in high school living with us. She said everyone does it. She is the one that came up with the $350.00 a month.With current tenents moved out family member asked to move in. OUr portion of the mortgage will be 666.00 till we get roommates. Will the roommates names etc have to be reported?
I don't know what you mean by paying rent on other rent house .

Your responsibility as Payee lies with the recipients current needs .That's all .

If room and board is set at $350.00 then I'd say it stays the same , unless you are insinuation the benificiary is going to move out and rent a whole house as the Title of your post indicates ?

Either way you can only pay for one place for the recipient to live each month , and report any changes .

mini me

The family member is moving out to the rent house and paying us rent and we hope to get renters. In the mean time we pay the other part of the rent. Sorry English is not my first language.

BL

The family member is moving out to the rent house and paying us rent and we hope to get renters. In the mean time we pay the other part of the rent. Sorry English is not my first language.
You as payee pay the SSI recipient's rent ( your family member ) , along with utilities and basic needs .

You money troubles are not involved .

Onderzoek

Thanks in advance.
I will paraphrase what you said.

You are a landlord. You own a home that you rent to others. You are also a rep payee and the claimant wants to move to the house you own and pay rent to you.

You are going to charge this SSI recipient $333 a month rent for use of the whole house but the market value is $1000? Sounds like a rental subsidy which is considered in-kind income for SSI.

You are going to have to deal with your local office.

BTW, do you claim this rental income on your income tax return? Or do you hide it from the IRS?

mini me

I will paraphrase what you said.

You are a landlord. You own a home that you rent to others. You are also a rep payee and the claimant wants to move to the house you own and pay rent to you.

You are going to charge this SSI recipient $333 a month rent for use of the whole house but the market value is $1000? Sounds like a rental subsidy which is considered in-kind income for SSI.

You are going to have to deal with your local office.

BTW, do you claim this rental income on your income tax return? Or do you hide it from the IRS?
Thank you.. we do claim the house as a rental so we do claim on Tax return. As off this morning we have found two other's to rent the house with our family member. Will i have to take the two other's income with me to SS office?. Our family member will pay 333.00 out of SSI check to us. The other two will pay each 333.00. Each will pay own food bill.

Thanks for your help.

BL

Thank you.. we do claim the house as a rental so we do claim on Tax return. As off this morning we have found two other's to rent the house with our family member. Will i have to take the two other's income with me to SS office?. Our family member will pay 333.00 out of SSI check to us. The other two will pay each 333.00. Each will pay own food bill.

Thanks for your help.
Yes.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10076.html#changes[/U]]A Guide For Representative Payees

Read what you must do as payee carefully .

Under additions to report is people moving in or out of the household.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">