• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can They Kick Me Off?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cali

I had some savings bonds which ended up equaling about 6k, so I brought them in to show SS, and then went and cashed them in to spend them down and stuff. I didn't know the bonds counted against me until a friend mentioned it. They were in my Grandmothers SSN, but I was also listed on them.

So now I'm back below the 2k limit. Am I still okay or are they going to get pissed at me and kick me off because I had more than 2k?

What's the process when someone goes over the limit? Will I be okay? *sigh* Or did I just spend all that money for nothing and they'll still kick me off?

Just wondering if I'm looking at being homeless soon or if maybe they'll give me a grace period to get rid of the money? (Which I already did, but I wonder if maybe I went too fast....)

Onderzoek

Did you use any of the excess resource to pay back the SSI overpayment that was assessed by having the excess resources for many years? Did you give away $6000?

Skie

Did you use any of the excess resource to pay back the SSI overpayment that was assessed by having the excess resources for many years? Did you give away $6000?
Yes, I gave Social Sec $4k. I used the rest for myself, and put some aside in case they do in fact kick me off, since I'll need to somehow cover rent.....

It almost felt like the reps I dealt with were accusing me of lying. Lady wanted the serial numbers of the bonds I cashed. She has COPIES of the bonds I cashed. For some reason the bank didn't give me a print out with that info. I'm not sure why.... I probably made a mistake there. Obviously it's too late now, so I decided to mail away to the Treasury to see if I could get a report on these bonds being cashed.

And isn't SSA buddy buddy with the IRS? Couldn't they get the info themselves?...

Onderzoek

Yes, I gave Social Sec $4k. I used the rest for myself, and put some aside in case they do in fact kick me off, since I'll need to somehow cover rent.....

It almost felt like the reps I dealt with were accusing me of lying. Lady wanted the serial numbers of the bonds I cashed. She has COPIES of the bonds I cashed. For some reason the bank didn't give me a print out with that info. I'm not sure why.... I probably made a mistake there. Obviously it's too late now, so I decided to mail away to the Treasury to see if I could get a report on these bonds being cashed.

And isn't SSA buddy buddy with the IRS? Couldn't they get the info themselves?...
The SSA rep is probably trying to match the numbers against a list that was provided to them from the IRS. If you have other uncashed bonds, a year or so from now the IRS will provide that info to SSA. Not sure why you'd want to wait for the IRS to do your reporting for you in 2011 or 2012. SSA does have to document what you currently own in order to reinstate SSI.

Whether your local office likes you or is mad at you is insufficient reason for them to start or stop benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">