• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can you own a home and receive medical assistance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katiescarlett71

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello. My adult brother is disabled and lived with my mother who has sinced passed away. My second adult brother became disabled (is divorced) as well and has a teenage daughter for which he receives an allottment each month. both brothers only received medical assistance - they do not receive a welfare check. They both receive disability.

When mother died, both brothers took over paying the taxes.

The question is - can you own a house and still receive medical assistance.

As far as I know the deed still stands in mother's name.

thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

BL

I'll try to give you some perspective :

In NY after my father passed away , and my mother disabled , ( owning their home ) , she was granted State Medical aid . I assume she signed so the State had a Lien on the Property for reimbursement .

When she passed away , and the Estate was sold , the State was the first to get paid ( from all the Medical they paid ) .

I don't know how this would play out with your brothers though .

You should consult a real Estate Lawyer to see where the Family stands with the Estate .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">