• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case manager at DDS sending out file for review?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missRED6

Delaware

I'll try to give a brief synopsis as possible. I filed for disability on mental/physical grounds (which is detailed in length of years). I called DDS the other day to see if my case manage (at disability determination services) had reviewed my case yet, and he said that it had now been sent over to the doctors and it should take a week to three weeks for them to contact me with a decision. My questions are: what is the purpose of the case manager at DDS sending my case to the doctors? Why do they send it out to them? Does the case manager send it to the doctors for a better review? and is this a good thing that it was sent out? Just kind of wondering if this is going to help my chances... but aren't we all?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered, it is much appreciated and good luck on your own applications!!

BL

Delaware

I'll try to give a brief synopsis as possible. I filed for disability on mental/physical grounds (which is detailed in length of years). I called DDS the other day to see if my case manage (at disability determination services) had reviewed my case yet, and he said that it had now been sent over to the doctors and it should take a week to three weeks for them to contact me with a decision. My questions are: what is the purpose of the case manager at DDS sending my case to the doctors? Why do they send it out to them? Does the case manager send it to the doctors for a better review? and is this a good thing that it was sent out? Just kind of wondering if this is going to help my chances... but aren't we all?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered, it is much appreciated and good luck on your own applications!!
Disability Determination ServicesThe Disability Determination Services Unit of DVR is a state administered federal program that serves Delawareans who are unable to work because of a disability. The DDS develops, adjudicates, and processes disability claims of residents for Social Security disability benefits. The unit staff determines if:

•A person meets the statutory definition of a disability as defined in the Social Security Act.
•The disabled individual meets medical eligibility to receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
While governed by the Social Security Administration and 100% federally funded, DDS is a state agency that is usually co-located with the state VR agency. The Delaware DDS makes approximately 8000 disability decisions per year for the State of Delaware.
If you had gone directly through SSA , SSA might have sent you to a Dr. or Agency they use for an evaluation , even though you have provided your history.

Last edited:

missRED6

Thank you for the response, BL! I started the application online and provided a lengthy list of all my doctors. When you say SSA, do you mean the field office? I brought in my signed medical release for them to obtain my information, but that was it. I also gave them some of my records, but when I had called my case manager at DDS he said there were no outstanding documents and that my doctors/physicians had sent in my records. Thanks again =)

BL

Thank you for the response, BL! I started the application online and provided a lengthy list of all my doctors. When you say SSA, do you mean the field office? I brought in my signed medical release for them to obtain my information, but that was it. I also gave them some of my records, but when I had called my case manager at DDS he said there were no outstanding documents and that my doctors/physicians had sent in my records. Thanks again =)
SSA means Social Security Administration. Yes SSA has Offices. If you mean field office by the office assigned to your residential area ,that's it.

As I stated ,even though you provided informations and the signed release ,SSA still may want an evaluation by one of there Dr's. or Agencies they use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">