• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children's benefits (auxiliary?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MuttyWaders

From ALABAMA
Hello. Thank you all so much for being here and helping us to better understand our circumstances and options.

Ex and I divorced and both remarried.
We have 1 minor child together that lives with husband and me.
Ex has 2 minor children with his wife.
He has become disabled and filing for benefits.

If awarded:
1. Will all 3 children receive benefits or just the 2 that actually live with him?
2. Will the benefit amount be split between the children?
3. How long will they receive the benefit?
4. Does my total household income play a role?

Thank you for any help.

Typically the total children's benefit is roughly half the amount of SSDI. In your case this amount would be split 2/3 to him, 1/3 to you.

Your financial situation has no bearing on this amount.

Also, in most states this amount is considered payment in lieu of child support.

This benefit is payable until the child reaches Their 18th bday. It will however extend as late as the child's 19th bday as long as they are still a fulltime HS student.

When the first child "ages off" then the amount is divided equally among the remaining children.

I don't know enough details, but if his wife presents evidence that she cannot work because she must stay home and care for him, the total "children's amount" in your case would be divided by 4, with him receiving 3/4ths of it. A little known tidbit.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">