• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children's SSI and Retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maine04401

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine
I have two children who are disabled and receive SSI. Right now, I don't have a retirement plan because my company doesn't offer one. If I were to find a suitable retirement plan option, would the amount of money I put in the retirement account affect my children's benefits? Here's the best way I can ask my real question: you know how the more income you make, the less money your children get in SSI? If I was putting a certain amount into a retirement fund for myself, would that money (untaxed at this point, if I understand it) count as income? For example, if I put $200 in a retirement account, would my children receive more in SSI because that $200 wasn't counted as income? This might be a silly question, but I figured I might as well ask.

Kit Cat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine
I have two children who are disabled and receive SSI. Right now, I don't have a retirement plan because my company doesn't offer one. If I were to find a suitable retirement plan option, would the amount of money I put in the retirement account affect my children's benefits? Here's the best way I can ask my real question: you know how the more income you make, the less money your children get in SSI? If I was putting a certain amount into a retirement fund for myself, would that money (untaxed at this point, if I understand it) count as income? For example, if I put $200 in a retirement account, would my children receive more in SSI because that $200 wasn't counted as income? This might be a silly question, but I figured I might as well ask.
I do not think they will count it as income, but they will count it is as an asset.

the formula is complex, I don't know it off the top of my head. Just be careful about saving too much money, past a certain point, your kids can get cut off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">