• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Current SSI Receiver Here, received 'strange' letter today!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xbxbeutyx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have been receiving SSI for my son since he was about 4 or 5 and he is now 14.

Today I received a letter from my local office. I have tried to get in touch with the office to find out more information but for some reason I can't get in touch with anyone.

Here is the letter in full:

This is a very important letter about keeping your SSI. Please read it carefully. If there is anything you do not understand, please get in touch with us right away.

You Have an Appointment
We must regularly review the cases of people who get SSI. We need information from you to make sure you are still eligible.

What We Need for the Appointment:
Bank statements:saving and checkin accounts, and any other bank statement
Pay stubs from work or self-employed, last year's income tax return
Unemployment compensation payment records and/or worker's compensation award
Pension records from: the Department of Veterans Affairs, Railroad Retirement Board, Civil Service, State, military, private pensions.

Come to see us on X X, 20012
at XPM and as for Mrs. X.

It then goes on to say if they don't hear from me by 2 days after the appointment date that my SSI might be stopped and how I could file an appeal to continue to receive payments during the appeal process.

My question is, why are they sending me this? I've never received such letter durning the entire time I've been receiving these benefits?

Like I said, I have called all morning only to have nothing but phone problems (on their end, not mine) and can't reach a single soul! I'm sure as heck not going to go down there just to find out ahead of time...these offices are MAD PACKED with people and I would be sitting there for hours!

Any experts have any idea what this is about?

Thanks and I appreciate it!

Regards

Proserpina

Probably nothing more than a review to check that your son is still eligible.

Things change over time; a review every few years is normal. The fact that you've gone so long without one is actually quite unusual ;)

You need to respond though - otherwise you WILL lose benefits.

Onderzoek

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0502305000

SSI redeterminations are mandated by Congress. The previous commissioner of SSA told Congress that if she didn't get the budget she needed, she wouldn't be able to do SSI redeteminations so there are many many SSI recipients who should have had redeterminations in the last 10 years and they were not conducted. One of the current strategic goals of SSA is to prevent improper payments, to be sure that SSA is paying the correct amount of money to both SSI and SSDI recipients. To be sure that the SSI recipient continues to meet all the requirements of SSI.

I find it hard to believe that no redeterminations have been done for 10 years. Maybe the previous one was a short form, mailed out.

Generally, people with appointments are seen close to their appointment times. People who don't have appointments have to wait longer. It is difficult to make your own appointment for redeterminations in many offices.

I suggest you read the entire chapter linked above. If it doesn't answer your questions, you could try your local office again. I also suggest you attend the appointment. Your son's SSI checks will eventually stop if you don't show up. Your local office may not be able to make you another appointment (depends on their policy) in time to prevent the suspension of the check.

The letter doesn't even ask for everything that will be necessary: names of everyone who lives in the house, amount of rent and name of landlord (may have changed in 10 years), who pays what bills in the household. You do need to bring two years proof of income changes. If you have not been reporting income, it is possible that your son is overpaid. Or not.

It is important to follow through.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">