+ Reply to Thread
    plz_help is offline Junior Member

Question Degen. disc disease, SSDI and legal rep.

What is the name of your state? IL

I have been unable to work for 2 years due to inoperable degenerative disc disease in neck.
    Laymen terms: two crushed discs and several compressed nerves with osteophyte growth.

Applied for SSDI in 10/03, secured an attorney (who has handled the case from here), was denied in 1/04, submitted reconsideration in 2/04, saw a SS physician in 7/04, reconsideration denied, requested hearing, and received notice of awaiting a hearing in 9/04.

QUESTION: Is my attorney acting in a timely manner? or Should I seek other legal rep? If I do secure another attorney, will I still have to pay attorney #1? If so, at what rate or percentage?

Thanks,
    plz_help
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plz_help

I have been unable to work for 2 years due to inoperable degenerative disc disease in neck.
    Laymen terms: two crushed discs and several compressed nerves with osteophyte growth.

Applied for SSDI in 10/03, secured an attorney (who has handled the case from here), was denied in 1/04, submitted reconsideration in 2/04, saw a SS physician in 7/04, reconsideration denied, requested hearing, and received notice of awaiting a hearing in 9/04.

QUESTION: Is my attorney acting in a timely manner? or Should I seek other legal rep? If I do secure another attorney, will I still have to pay attorney #1? If so, at what rate or percentage?

Thanks,
    plz_help
    These things take time , and persistence by the Lawyer , and the client pushing the Lawyer .

It's frustrating .

My sister ( got bless her soul ) had back pain . Applied for Disability , was denied . Come to find out it was collapsed disk in her back , and on top of that cancer was found .

Keep on the Professional Dr's , and your attorney . Don't let up .
    bjl1105 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plz_help

Thanks,
    plz_help
    8 months wait time to get a hearing scheduled is not unusual. Keep the attorney. As was already suggested, be assertive. You can call the clerk at the Adm. Law Judge's office yourself to see how much longer to get a hearing date (their number should be on your Notice, or call your local SSA office and they can give you the phone number).