• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did not inform Medicaid I went back to work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ConfusedPlenty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have a life-long illness that I got Medicaid for my treatments which keep me healthy and allow me to work. Well when I went back to work I tried to call The Department of Job and Family Services and could never get a hold of anyone to tell them, After a while I gave up for a bit and forgot to try again. Since then I have been approved for SSI as being disabled, well they sent me a request to reapply for my Medicaid and I never got it because I moved and it was never forwarded to my new address. So they cut off my coverage, well I want to reapply for Medicaid but I am afraid that if they find out that I was working and still getting benefits they might want me to pay all that money back.

Will they force me to pay back any benefits I used while I was working?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have a life-long illness that I got Medicaid for my treatments which keep me healthy and allow me to work. Well when I went back to work I tried to call The Department of Job and Family Services and could never get a hold of anyone to tell them, After a while I gave up for a bit and forgot to try again. Since then I have been approved for SSI as being disabled, well they sent me a request to reapply for my Medicaid and I never got it because I moved and it was never forwarded to my new address. So they cut off my coverage, well I want to reapply for Medicaid but I am afraid that if they find out that I was working and still getting benefits they might want me to pay all that money back.

Will they force me to pay back any benefits I used while I was working?
The only way to receive Medicaid is to call SSA up and give them your new address and say you need Medicaid . Usually you can reapply through SSA or the States agency .

One thing to remember is the computers are set up to cross check informations.

OHRoadwarrior

It sounds like you are now also lying to the SSA. Have you made them aware you were working, while you claimed to be disabled?

commentator

You are stupid if you think that the Medicaid system is not going to know exactly where you worked, for how long and exactly how much you made. You used your correct social security number on the job, didn't you? Do you not think the medicaid system has access to your social security number and will be able to see any wages you made working for a covered employer using that number?

Whether you re-apply for Medicaid or not, you're eventually going to get a contact, asking you to call them and discuss the little old matter of this employment you "weren't able" to report to them because you couldn't get anyone to answer the telephone.... yeah, sure! Anyhow, you fraudulently received medicaid while you were working.

So you might as well go on and reapply. The thing you have already done and cannot undo is already in place, cannot be hidden and cannot be undone, and there's no point avoiding re-application because of it. The sooner you get it straightened out, and the penalties and overpayments assessed and dealt with, the sooner you'll be able to get coverage again that you now need.

As I have said before, the system doesn't really count on you to be honest, your self reporting of income isn't exactly accepted as being honest, because so many people aren't.

ConfusedPlenty

It sounds like you are now also lying to the SSA. Have you made them aware you were working, while you claimed to be disabled?

Yes, they know, I gave them all my employment information and they determined that I could not receive payment from them because I made to much money. But they told me that I was still entitled to Medicaid because they changed the laws as far as your ability to work and still get coverage.

People who are sick where getting treatment for their conditions which enabled them to work but if they did work then they could not longer get treatment which made them unemployable again because they went back to being to sick to work.

It was a no win situation.

So in the Clinton era they changed the laws so that people would not be afraid that of they went back to work they would lose their health coverage. So you are allowed to work and get Medicaid if the medication or treatment your on is what allows you to be healthy enough to work.

I was deemed disabled for SSI purposes retroactively to well before I went back to work

A good full year before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">