• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sholder50

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My husband had a stroke in 2010. Before that he worked under the table for
more than 15 years. SSD says that he doesn’t have enough points to qualify
for SSD. Is this true or could he still get benefits?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Did he work for a full ten years and pay social security and medicare a taxes during those full ten years? I have to assume not, since the SSA says that he does not have enough points. There is nothing you can do. That is one of the MANY downfalls of working under the table.

Onderzoek

It is too bad that you had to learn the hard way that paying taxes does have some benefits.

The only program available to him is SSI, which is a public assistance disability program for people with limited income and assets. SSI has to know all of your and your husband's personal private financial business and living arrangements for as long as your husband is on SSI. But it is a safety net for people who didn't, couldn't or figured out how to not pay FICA taxes at their jobs.

csi7

One alternative to determine whether his work statements match through social security and IRS is to check the income tax returns for those fifteen years as well.
The second alternative is to show proof of his work over those fifteen years in legitimate documents, such as wage and earning statements.

commentator

And if he doesn't have that....SSI (Supplemental Security Income), not SSDI would be his only alternative, and to qualify for that you have to be low income. And the max it pays is less than $700 a month. He definitely needs to apply, though.

Onderzoek

One alternative to determine whether his work statements match through social security and IRS is to check the income tax returns for those fifteen years as well.
The second alternative is to show proof of his work over those fifteen years in legitimate documents, such as wage and earning statements.
That might work if he hadn't worked "under the table" as the OP stated and if he paid FICA taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">