• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VickyMc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO
If your spouse gets incarceated do they loose the disability check or does the spouse still get it or any portion of it

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If your spouse gets incarceated do they loose the disability check or does the spouse still get it or any portion of it
Effect of prison on the dependents benefits
Updated 12/15/2011 11:42 AM | ID# 465
My husband is presently incarcerated and does not receive Social Security benefits. Are my son and I eligible for any benefits while he is in jail?

No. If your husband was not receiving Social Security benefits before his incarceration, no benefits can be paid to you or your son during his incarceration.

If you and your son were receiving Social Security benefits before your husband's incarceration, benefits to you and your son will continue while he is incarcerated.

If you were not already receiving benefits, you should contact your local Social Services/Welfare Department to find out if other sponsored programs can provide assistance.
Effect of prison on the dependents benefits

Onderzoek

Benefits are payable to the disabled person and for SSI, if someone is incarcerated, benefits stop. For SSDI, if the disabled person is convicted and confined, benefits stop.

The spouse's needs are not considered since the spouse is not disabled which means the spouse can support themselves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">