• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmswasp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? i live in PA and am wondering if there is a way to determine if my neighbor is collecting ssdi and what for if so. he's in his late 20's and in good shape, but he hasn't worked in 3+ years and is bragging about scamming diability, if its ssdi then i wat to know what i can do. its my business as i work and pay into it, sorry but he's ripping me/all of us off.

Onderzoek

It is not your business whether or not you neighbor is getting paid SSDI or what his diagnosed disabilities might be. It is not your business whether or not ANY one person is eligible including your spouse, your parent, your brother, your adult child, your best friend, your worst enemy, etc.

If you have reason to believe he is scamming the government, you can call the SSA OIG hotline and provide them with enough verifiable information like his full name (with correct spelling) and his date of birth so SSA might be able to figure out his SSN. Then, you need to provide what evidence you have that he is scamming the government. Unless you are a doctor, you cannot make a medical finding of whether or not he is disabled.

If he is bragging that he is scamming disability, you can probably get him to tell you how he's doing it (could pretend you want to also) and then you may have something concrete that could be investigated. But if you don't provide SSA with something more than you know he is scamming, there is little SSA can do.

Swgfan

It's very hard to determine is someone is scamming. Yes the government does conduct periodic checks on random people drawing SSDI and I've seen news articles where they caught some guy lifting heavy objects when he was supposed to be disabled and have severe back problems.

However, not all disabilities are crippling to the point of impeding motor skills or movement. Someone might have a weak heart or chronic pain but still be able to cut their grass or walk around their yard. They may be on disability because a typical work environment would put too much stress on them.

Basically though you'd need more information like what is his disability and what parts of his body does that affect. Without that info you can't really determine just how much physical activity he can do.

Also it sounds as if you don't know for a fact that your neighbor is on SSDI. It could be that he is on workmans comp or some other disability program from his former job. I know a truck driver that has been on long term disability from his job for 4 years and he doesn't collect Social security. He told me he can be on his company disability for up to 8 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">