• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability and social security checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wickedcrow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky i drawl two separate checks divisibility and social security i get disability on the first of each month and my social security on the 3rd of each month disability here in Kentucky is 710 dollars a month my social security is than deducted from that all but 20 dollars witch they don't count leavening me a remaining balance of 486 dollars for disability and with my 256 say security gives me a balance of 735 bucks my question is how can i receive more than 20 dollars from my social security check for disability

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky i drawl two separate checks divisibility and social security i get disability on the first of each month and my social security on the 3rd of each month disability here in Kentucky is 710 dollars a month my social security is than deducted from that all but 20 dollars witch they don't count leavening me a remaining balance of 486 dollars for disability and with my 256 say security gives me a balance of 735 bucks my question is how can i receive more than 20 dollars from my social security check for disability
You can't.

SSI is needs based. :cool:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pgm/ssi.htm

OHRoadwarrior

It is provided as a needs based system. You don't get a raise because you want one. You recourse is to find work you can do.

justalayman

I would have to guess the OP is receiving SSI and not SSDI but just in case:

which are you receiving:

SSI

SSDI

wickedcrow

i filed for disability i have advance age hart problems i had worked a nuth quarters to receive social security so 3 months after i started receiving disability i got my social security and what i drawl in social security is deducted from my disability all but 20 dollars witch they do not count so after deducting the amount whats left is what i get in disability all but 20 dollars more with they don't count giving me a total of 25 dollars more than what disability is in Kentucky witch is 710 bucks what i am asking is how i can get less of my social security deducted from disability

justalayman

so, without any real clarification from you and the additional info, to me, it is even muddier.

are you receiving:

social security (not SSDI )

SSDI

SSI

wickedcrow

well i am sorry i don't know any other way to describe it i just know i get 2 checks a month disability on the first of the month and social security on the 3rd of the month other than that i don't know what you class that

csi7

Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are two programs that are used for disability programs.

Social Security retirement pension is separate from these two programs.

What the person is asking is what type of social security benefit payments are you receiving. It does make a difference as to who can provide you the best help - and if you are unable to figure out how your payments are being provided for, then a visit to the local security office may be necessary for you to find out the answer to your question.

Proserpina

well i am sorry i don't know any other way to describe it i just know i get 2 checks a month disability on the first of the month and social security on the 3rd of the month other than that i don't know what you class that

What's happening is that you're getting SSDI and the amount you're getting means you also get SSI to make up the rest until you hit the "minimum".

It happens a ot :)

wickedcrow

ok so i get disability ssdi as you call it than since Ive paid a nuth in to social securtiy i get ssi but since i ant 65 they deduct the ssi from my ssdi right

Proserpina

my disability ssdi is 486 dollars and my ssi is 256 dollars

Okay, this is what's happening.

Your SSDI - no matter how long you worked - only gives you the $486. The SSI is covering the difference between your SSDI and the State's minimum.

Now that we've actually pinned that down, there's not really anything more you can do - the State is doing things correctly.

justalayman

my disability ssdi is 486 dollars and my ssi is 256 dollars

I think you have them backwards. If the SSI is $710 and the SSDI is $256, then that makes sense.

The current max SSI payment is $710 (going up to $721 next year).

So, what happens is you are paid your SSDI of $256 and then paid enough SSI to reach the total max from SSI (the $710). It isn't that anything is actually deducted. It is adjusted since SSI will not provide payment so you have more than $710 per month.

the reason I think you have it backwards is:

the SSI max is (strangely enough) $710

SSDI is not going to be adjusted but the SSI will be. SSDI is a fixed payment based on earnings to that is yours, no matter what. The SSI is supplemental payment to raise your income to the set limit of $710/month.

Last edited:

wickedcrow

think you have them backwards. If the SSI is $710 and the SSDI is $256, then that makes sense.

The current max SSI payment is $710 (going up to $721 next year).

So, what happens is you are paid your SSDI of $256 and then paid enough SSI to reach the total max from SSI (the $710). It isn't that anything is actually deducted. It is adjusted since SSI will not provide payment so you have more than $710 per month.

the reason I think you have it backwards is:

the SSI max is (strangely enough) $710

SSDI is not going to be adjusted but the SSI will be. SSDI is a fixed payment based on earnings to that is yours, no matter what. The SSI is supplemental payment to raise your income to the set limit of $710/month.

yes i that's right you've got it thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">