• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability and student loan debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The J

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I am concerned for a cousin of mine. I do not know what all background info is necessary here so I will try to provide an adequate summary.

My cousin is crazy. We have all always known it, but it didn't really sink in for him until after he failed out of college for the third time. Before that, he refused to give up trying again and again to keep a job. I don't know much about psychology or the specific names for what he has, but it seems to me his problems are a matter of being unable to understand people, their emotions, or the unwritten rules and boundaries that make social relationships succeed or fail, which normal people intuitively understand. He has the intellect necessary to succeed, but almost no social skills whatsoever. He thought that if he couldn't keep a normal menial job, maybe a college education would allow him to obtain the kind of job where his intellect alone would be enough. "Professors and scientists are allowed to be eccentric," he would say.

Finally, after failing college for the third time and finally reaching the bottom of a downward spiral that ended in homelessness and hunger, he agreed to submit to the mental evaluation and therapy process. These doctors almost immediately diagnosed him with a whole handful of conditions. I don't know all the names and details, but I remember hearing the words "autism spectrum", "developmental disorder", and "personality disorder", but when I look these things up I see a whole list of different conditions. But I guess those details are probably irrelevant here.

So now he receives mental disability payments, but naturally the school loan people want to collect the debt, and the other day he got a letter from social security that said they would start garnishing his payment (which is already a very low amount: around $400. By the way, is a benefit amount this low unusual? I thought they were usually around $1000). The letter said that it was possible to get this loan forgiven with a letter from a physician. But the doctors he sees at the free mental health clinic are not physicians. He sees a talking-type counselor for therapy, and the person he gets prescriptions from is a nurse practitioner.

How can the government need the testimony of more doctors now, after all the doctor testimony they used to determine he was disabled?

His payment barely pays for his rent and food. I'm afraid to recommend that he go spend some of it at the office of a doctor who has never met him, in case the doctor declines to help, causing this precious little money to be wasted.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Antigone*

I am concerned for a cousin of mine. I do not know what all background info is necessary here so I will try to provide an adequate summary.

My cousin is crazy. We have all always known it, but it didn't really sink in for him until after he failed out of college for the third time. Before that, he refused to give up trying again and again to keep a job. I don't know much about psychology or the specific names for what he has, but it seems to me his problems are a matter of being unable to understand people, their emotions, or the unwritten rules and boundaries that make social relationships succeed or fail, which normal people intuitively understand. He has the intellect necessary to succeed, but almost no social skills whatsoever. He thought that if he couldn't keep a normal menial job, maybe a college education would allow him to obtain the kind of job where his intellect alone would be enough. "Professors and scientists are allowed to be eccentric," he would say.

Finally, after failing college for the third time and finally reaching the bottom of a downward spiral that ended in homelessness and hunger, he agreed to submit to the mental evaluation and therapy process. These doctors almost immediately diagnosed him with a whole handful of conditions. I don't know all the names and details, but I remember hearing the words "autism spectrum", "developmental disorder", and "personality disorder", but when I look these things up I see a whole list of different conditions. But I guess those details are probably irrelevant here.

So now he receives mental disability payments, but naturally the school loan people want to collect the debt, and the other day he got a letter from social security that said they would start garnishing his payment (which is already a very low amount: around $400. By the way, is a benefit amount this low unusual? I thought they were usually around $1000). The letter said that it was possible to get this loan forgiven with a letter from a physician. But the doctors he sees at the free mental health clinic are not physicians. He sees a talking-type counselor for therapy, and the person he gets prescriptions from is a nurse practitioner.

How can the government need the testimony of more doctors now, after all the doctor testimony they used to determine he was disabled?

His payment barely pays for his rent and food. I'm afraid to recommend that he go spend some of it at the office of a doctor who has never met him, in case the doctor declines to help, causing this precious little money to be wasted.

This is not a legal issue that we can help you with.

OHRoadwarrior

If he is considered permanently and totally disabled and receiving SSI or SSDI, he can process for a forgiveness of student loan debt. He needs to comply with the process. He receives what disability he was awarded. If you feel he is eligible for more, apply.

Just Blue

https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-crimes-federal-state-4/better-understanding-castle-doctrine-583781.html

The J

Yes I started both threads. What is your point? I live in a dangerous neighborhood and I also have a cousin.

ecmst12

Well, your cousin's financial issues, and medical issues, are not really any of your business. But I assure you that there is a doctor that oversees the clinic where he is seen. And if he is on SSI, he should also qualify for Medicaid, which will allow him to see any kind of doctor he requires.

The J

No he is not my responsibility. I just figured I could try to help since I found this website. Thanks for your advice. I will find out if he has Medicaid, and tell him to check with clinic overseers.

Proserpina

If his SSDI award was only around $400, he should qualify for SSI to take it up some more. Of course, he'd need to apply for that.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If his SSDI award was only around $400, he should qualify for SSI to take it up some more. Of course, he'd need to apply for that.
I doubt very seriously that cousin has worked enough quarters to earn SSDI, just from what OP has said about him/her. SSI maxes out at ~$650/month, and is needs-based, depending on the income already available to the disabled person. :cool:

Proserpina

I doubt very seriously that cousin has worked enough quarters to earn SSDI, just from what OP has said about him/her. SSI maxes out at ~$650/month, and is needs-based, depending on the income already available to the disabled person. :cool:

Yes, I know this - but OP also mentioned $400 AND the fact he got a letter saying the award was going to be garnished.

That suggests SSDI, not SSI.

OHRoadwarrior

If he administers his own money, it is a bit hard to complain he can't afford to pay his debts. He was perfectly able to run them up and if a responsible person managed his money, it would go farther.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">