• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disablity dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

winstonwolf379

tn. I was approved for my disability in july 2011 I know there is a 5 month waiting period but I did not receive a notice so in oct of 2012 I went to a hearing I was awarded ssi 2 yrs later I was notified I had enough credits to get ssdi and they owed me 17,486.00 they paid my attorney 4,464.00 then I received a check for 3,000.00 then got a letter saying I had been paid 10,000.00 to much ssi I contacted my attorney she told me to fill out a form for reconderation is she still responsiable to handle such matters I had enough work credits to get ssdi to begin with please help thank you:confused:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
tn. I was approved for my disability in july 2011 I know there is a 5 month waiting period but I did not receive a notice so in oct of 2012 I went to a hearing I was awarded ssi 2 yrs later I was notified I had enough credits to get ssdi and they owed me 17,486.00 they paid my attorney 4,464.00 then I received a check for 3,000.00 then got a letter saying I had been paid 10,000.00 to much ssi I contacted my attorney she told me to fill out a form for reconderation is she still responsiable to handle such matters I had enough work credits to get ssdi to begin with please help thank you:confused:
Seems that SSA is recouping the monies they gave you under the SSI program (which is needs-based, aka welfare). :cool:

Onderzoek

what should I do is my attorney still obligated to help me thank you
It does depend upon the contract, but what is it that you think the attorney can do for you? The law allows, actually requires SSA to offset any retroactive Social Security by SSI that would not have been paid if the Social Security had been paid on time. It is called windfall offset. It is doubtful that the attorney would even want to help you flout the law. Read your contract and then ask.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/spotlights/spot-windfall-offset.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">