• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need my doctor's approval to file for SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mhdrives12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hi,
I'm new here. I have been dx'd with Bipolar, OCD and Ptsd. My mom came with me to my appt. yesterday and asked my phyciaitrist if I should apply for Social Security.

At the appt. I wasn't myself, I wias quite out of it. His answer was that he didn't want to talk about it right now and he would like to tALK to me next week to go over what exactly it means to file for SSDI.

I understand why he did that. But my question is, suppose he says no? Can I still go ahead and apply? Do they mostly go by what the dr says or by what the medical records indicate.

He's a good doctor so I'd take his advice but I'm so scared of working. I can't leave my house for a week or something bad will happen. I'm so nervous.
Thanks

Onderzoek

You do not need your doctor's permission to file a claim for SSI or SSDI. If you are over 18, you do not need your mother's permission to file a claim for SSI or SSDI.

Medical records are really the same thing as what your doctor says. Your doctor is the one who created your medical records. SSA goes by your doctor or a consultative exam doctors medical findings, and never asks your doctor is you are disabled or not disabled since that is a legal term, not a medical term.

However, if you trust your doctor, why are you thinking about going against his advice? If you think it is bad advice, don't listen. But remember, you are the one with the various mental problems so your thought processes may be a little jumbled.

Advice from a stranger; listen to the people who truly care about you. Your mother, your doctor.

BL

You ask your Dr. straight out what his thoughts are on you being able to work at gainful employment .

You have to at least be unable to work at gainful employment for at least 12 months to qualify.

What are the results of you test ?

If you have your Dr. on board all the better .

You can always try ticket to work once you qualify .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">