• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to reapply for ssi if i get a divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heather2

What is the name of your state? Texas
I was approved for social security, but I couldn't get it cause I was married and my wife makes to much for me to get any, can we be seperated to get it or do we have to be divorced? Also if we do get a divorce to I have to reapply?

BL

I was approved for social security, but I couldn't get it cause I was married and my wife makes to much for me to get any, can we be separated to get it or do we have to be divorced? Also if we do get a divorce to I have to reapply?
What date were you denied ?

Technically yes ,if you were separated and were to have to pay your own way , living separately , you should qualify if you meet all other qualifications .

Just because you qualified medically / mentally does mean you qualify finacially .

Depending on how long ago you were denied and proof you are living apart ,you might be able to provide those facts and ask for reconsideration .

Otherwise you'd have to reapply .

Why are you using a female's screen name and have a wife .

Last edited:

sandyclaus

I was approved for social security, but I couldn't get it cause I was married and my wife makes to much for me to get any, can we be seperated to get it or do we have to be divorced? Also if we do get a divorce to I have to reapply?
So, in other words, you are trying to figure out a way to get SSI payments while you're still married by lying and saying you are separated, right?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say YES, you would need to be divorced. They would also need to see the divorce decree as far as the division of property and assets, and whether or not any spousal support was ordered. (Essentially, they would need to know exactly what was your change in income that resulted from the divorce to see if it's enough to justify issuing SSI payments.)

As for whether or not you would need to re-apply IF you get divorced, then that's a question for your caseworker at the SS office.

So, if you are thinking about defrauding the SSI system, please don't. I hate to see my taxpayer dollars wasted just so you can figure out a way to get paid.

Heather2

I am his wife and I am trying to help him. We are at least seperating, have not decided on divorce yet but we will not be together. He was approved for a mental disability but I make to much for him to get any money. Since he will be on his own he needs money to live by himself. So we just want to know the next step to take. Whether we must be legally seperated or divorced before he can get his own income. I will be moving January or February and he will be on his own and would like social security. We are not trying to commit fraud.
BL-he wasn't denied, he was approved I make too much money.

Proserpina

I am his wife and I am trying to help him. We are at least seperating, have not decided on divorce yet but we will not be together. He was approved for a mental disability but I make to much for him to get any money. Since he will be on his own he needs money to live by himself. So we just want to know the next step to take. Whether we must be legally seperated or divorced before he can get his own income. I will be moving January or February and he will be on his own and would like social security. We are not trying to commit fraud.

You do not need to be divorced, just living in separate households.

You can call SSA to confirm/deny this.

BL

Yes I gathered that .

As the other poster stated SSA would look at marital assets even if you seperate .

If there is little or none then he may qualify once proven he's on his own .

Weather or not he'll have to reapply will probably depend on what date he was denied .

Separation or divorce need not be legal at least in my State .

As was said he should check with SSA .

Proserpina

Given that Heather just went potty mouth on another member - and felt the need to necropost in order to do so - I'm no longer inclined to offer one bit of assistance.

That was completely out of line, and yes, I did report you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">