• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i qualify for disability after this auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

romeonline

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? (CA)
So i had a really bad car crash on my way home from work (best buy), in 2010 i was 19 @ the time, the car flipped multiple times (my left hand found its way out of the window) and then landed on my left hand , crushing my left index finger to the point of amputation. The car was in shape of a ball (literally) and before help arrived my whole left arm was under the car for a good while (do not actually know how long) but to the point where it caused like 50% motor and sensory nerve damage in upper arm and 90% motor and sensory nerve damage in my left hand. 5 years later and a lot more new symptoms have surfaced such as where my hand would lock itself and i would have no control over it whatsoever and 2 of my fingers started to curl up and i have to physically straighten it out using my right hand. I cant hold a cup of water or pretty much do anything with my left hand, not to mention the excruciating pin needle pain that comes every hour or so, which also have been causing me insomnia (honestly sometimes i've thought of just chopping it off). I cannot focus too long on my studying and my grades have dropped drastically over the years, and if i don't have some sort of heat source on my left arm, i'll be in constant pain (cool weather also causes pain).

After my accident i came out of the ICU to go check my job @ best buy and i had to sign a paper that said i was terminated, because i didn't show up to work while i was in the hospital (not to mention that my phone was lost during the crash, so no means of contact). I tried applying for workers comp but was denied right away. I had one job after that in 2012 that paid 800$ in total, it was a medical research place where they researched my injured hand. After that i've been jobless and trying to go school (also had to change my majors because of my hand). To make matters worse since my father and i don't get along (due to child abuse at younger age and the whole foster home and him in jail thing) i was pretty much forced to live with a friend (and quite honestly i can feel that i've been an annoyance to, so i don't know how long this will last). One of my classmates told me about applying for disability and it seems like a long and tedious project, so i thought i should ask someone the rate of success of this. Honestly i don't know if i'm depressed, but i was a lot happier before this whole accident that i never really believed in depression and i haven't had a pick me up in a very long time. I know this sounds like sob story, but i would IMMENSELY appreciate any help or advice on my options, thank you in advance and bless you!

FlyingRon

Workman's compensation doesn't cover you while you are commuting. It covers injuries at work (now if they had sent you out from the store on some business that may have been covered).

You are eligible for SSDI if you are disabled AND you have worked enough to accrue those benefits. Otherwise if you are of limited means, you can apply for SSI.
Information here: https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/ for SSDI and https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/ssi.html for SSI

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">