• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does child support affect survivor benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

likenoutha

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My 14 year old daughter is receiving survivor benefits from my late husband. He was not her real father, but provided more than half of her support during the time that we were married. She has been receiving benefits for almost 2 years. Just recently I was notified by my District Atorney that they had located my daughters real father. He owes over $30,000.00 worth of back child support. If they succeed in garnishing his wages, will this affect her benefits? If the past is any indication, I will receive a couple months worth of child support and then he will disappear again.

BL

I can not find anything about child support effecting a Child's survivors benefits , only that children are entitled to them .

Call the toll free SSA 800 # to ask ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">