• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does SS watch you?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daytimer69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have finally been approved for SSDI. I also have a policy with a private company and have been disabled for two years. My private company was paying me for 15 months and hired a PI to follow me. He found me going shopping with my spouse and lifting a bag that weighed 8 lbs and they canceled my policy. I know 8 lbs woo woo. I hired an attorney and they are again paying me PLUS my SSDI.

My question is, once approved with SSDI will I always get it or will they cancel me? Does the Gov follow you around to see what you do? I do not do much,. maybe go to a store once a week or with my spouse to her place of employment to sit with her.

Thank you

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have finally been approved for SSDI. I also have a policy with a private company and have been disabled for two years. My private company was paying me for 15 months and hired a PI to follow me. He found me going shopping with my spouse and lifting a bag that weighed 8 lbs and they canceled my policy. I know 8 lbs woo woo. I hired an attorney and they are again paying me PLUS my SSDI.

My question is, once approved with SSDI will I always get it or will they cancel me? Does the Gov follow you around to see what you do? I do not do much,. maybe go to a store once a week or with my spouse to her place of employment to sit with her.

Thank you

No, the government does not regularly follow around disability recipients.

Instead, they may review your case periodically to see if you still qualify medically for SSDI.

If someone were to report you though, they may investigate further...

Onderzoek

SSA does not have enough staff to do the job they are supposed to do.

However, if there is a reason for SSA to consider that you are malingering or faking your condition, that person may be observed for a period of time. That repo0rt in combination with other evidence can be used to decide if someone is disabled or not.

daytimer69

Thanks

I am not worried about them finding me do something I should not. I have been disabled for many yrs and my doctor pulled me out of work. He actually took me out 6 yrs ago and I went back for two yrs and tried to work again but could not. I just did not know if they were like my private company....if I sneeze I can work in their opinion.

fmccarthy

As above, they haven't the staff. But, don't piss anyone off as vengeful reports can have consequences. Don't let anyone know your financial situation or that you are on SSDI.

Is there any way the insurance co. you mentioned has knowledge of you being on SSDI? They might do it as vengeance, not even as co. policy but by some mid-level creep who was embarrassed by losing the suit.

BTW, IIRC, 10 lbs. is the standard and that is regularly not occasionally. You are not required to be a prisoner in your house, you can go out. Just no dancing or jumping-jacks.:)

daytimer69

It is in my personal policy that they be notified asap when I get ssdi. That way they can deduct the amount I get from SS and they give me less ): In a way I can understand, if not I would be making a killer salary on disability. I have been six figure income for many yrs and trust me. ssdi and my personal policy are FAR from that

fmccarthy

Then the ins. co. knows. They will be watching if anyone is. Prudence dictates you operate as if they are. I would guess, not unreasonably, they have people whose sole job it is to get you off, it's the way it is. And, I suspect, the one who thought "gotcha!" in the first place would like to be vindicated. As I said, you don't have to be a prisoner but let your spouse do all the lifting and carrying.

As far as SSDI specifically, it can last until you are of regular Social Security age (it simply converts to regular SS, at the same amount). However, you can be "reevaluated" periodically to see if you still are disabled or if your condition has improved. Usually, that is in the form of Dr.'s records, etc. but could involve an examination by a consulting physician (not common but not impossible). A "report" could be a trigger. Also, be aware that when you have collected 2 years of SSDI you are eligible for Medicare, regardless of age, a big financial help.

Last edited:

37IW

I'm sure that when you were disabled the doctor restricted you in what you can or can't do and these should be in writing. If you have a copy of that great if not obtain one from the doctor who disabled you and keep in case you need to prove that you are following your doctors instructions and as others have stated, no jumping jack, tree climbing etc...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">