• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Due Process?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meadows1973

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I was recently cut off from SSD (not SSI) for "suspected fraud". When I was sent the original notice I replied with an appeal, which was never processed. I finally got someone at SSD to talk to me about this 8 months after they cut off benefits, and he said that, "We don't process appeals until we have finished our investigation". When asked how long that could take, he responded with "Up to 5 years".

How can they remove my SSD without either charging me with fraud (they only "suspect it") or giving me the right to appeal their decision to terminate?

Is this really legal? The SSD guy said there is no due process claim here because they are an administrative agency and not a judicial one: how can this matter?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">