• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation and ssi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wade03

What is the name of your state? illinois

hello my dad died a few years ago and i recieve ssi benefits but i am 16 so they go to my mom because im a minor and shes my representative payee my question is if i were to be emancipated wood the ssi benefits stop or wood i still recieve them?

BL

wade03 said:
What is the name of your state? illinois

hello my dad died a few years ago and i recieve ssi benefits but i am 16 so they go to my mom because im a minor and shes my representative payee my question is if i were to be emancipated wood the ssi benefits stop or wood i still recieve them?
Call SSA and ask .

I wood ( would ) think since emancipation means you can financially support yourself , you would not be eligible for benefits .

However , If you were have another Adult be appointed as your Guardian through the Court , they could apply to be your Rep. Payee .

Moba25

If your mother is your representative payee and you do not reside with her, you can go to your local social security office and apply for a transfer of benefits if you have good cause (i.e .you're living on your own and you need the benefit to support yourself). dependent benefits have a whole slew of guidelines, so double check at www.ssa.gov

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">