• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family benefits what happens when one kid turns 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael Higly

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Hello,
Please help. I am currently collecting SSDI and I have 3 kids who are also collecting benefits under my claim. My oldest child will be 18 years old next month and will also be graduating from high school. What happens to her benefits, do the benefits get re-allocated to the two remaining kids?
Is there anything I need to do?
Thanks
Michael

cyana24

Michael Higly said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

Hello,
Please help. I am currently collecting SSDI and I have 3 kids who are also collecting benefits under my claim. My oldest child will be 18 years old next month and will also be graduating from high school. What happens to her benefits, do the benefits get re-allocated to the two remaining kids?
Is there anything I need to do?
Thanks
Michael
Yes, the oldest child's benefit amount will be reallocated to the younger two children. There's probably nothing you need to do. When the oldest child's benefits end, you receive a notice of termination of his or her benefits. Shortly afterward you should receive two seperate forms (one for each child) stating that their benefit amount will be increased by approximately half the amount of the oldest's child's benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">