• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Disappeared - Receive Death Benefits at Age 27?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karizma23

What is the name of your state? Washington

Hello,

First, some background...

I am 27 years old. When I was 10 years old, my father disappeared out my life, and I have not heard from him since. The Social Security Death Index reports, based on his SSN, that he died in 1988. I have contacted the State in which he apparently died and ordered a death certificate. Several weeks later I received a letter back stating that the Records Department was unable to find a death certificate for him. That alone seems pretty strange to me, but that's the current situation with regards to his death.

Here's my question:

Now, IF I can prove his death, would, at 27 years of age, I be eligible to receive back payments of his Social Security Death benefits since I am his son? Is there a time limit (i.e. statute of limitations) on how much time a beneficiary can claim benefits? I believe my mother once tried to get survivor benefits for me when I was younger but the SSA initially denied them for dubious reasons, and we never appealed. I still feel as though I was cheated out of these death benefits and would like to pursue them if it is still possible.

Thanks much for your help. This has been a lifelong mystery for me and I'd really like to get some answers! Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

karizma23

The last time I saw him was when I was nearly 10 years old. The Social Security Death Index gives a year of death of 1988. The last time I saw him was prior to that date, but not by much. I'm not sure I follow your question.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I'm not sure I follow your question.
You're 27. You were 10 the last time you saw him. That was 17 years ago, which was 1990. Yet he is reported to have died two years before that, in 1988. I just thought a little clarification was in order to avoid any confusion.

BL

The last time I saw him was when I was nearly 10 years old. The Social Security Death Index gives a year of death of 1988. The last time I saw him was prior to that date, but not by much. I'm not sure I follow your question.

I am 27 years old. When I was 10 years old, my father disappeared out my life, and I have not heard from him since. The Social Security Death Index reports, based on his SSN, that he died in 1988.
2007 - 27 yrs. = 1980 making you 8 yrs. old , not 10 .

Now what has your local SS Office told you about your questions ?

http://www.newenglandancestors.org/research/database/ss/

see where the last payment was .

http://genealogy.about.com/library/bl_ssa_codes.htm

karizma23

I have not contacted my local SSA office, as I was hoping to get some preliminary information as to whether I have a case/eligibility at all or not. Unfortunately going to the SSA office entails an afternoon off from work and a long wait in a waiting room, and I'd just like to know ahead of time (if possible) if there's anything to my case.

As for the age stuff, my mistake. Apparently I was 8. In any event, I more concerned with my current age and whether I still qualify for any benefits.

Thanks for your help.

moburkes

I have not contacted my local SSA office, as I was hoping to get some preliminary information as to whether I have a case/eligibility at all or not. Unfortunately going to the SSA office entails an afternoon off from work and a long wait in a waiting room, and I'd just like to know ahead of time (if possible) if there's anything to my case.

As for the age stuff, my mistake. Apparently I was 8. In any event, I more concerned with my current age and whether I still qualify for any benefits.

Thanks for your help.
Let's say that you do. The money goes to mom, not you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">