• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Future Concern:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

balihai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I'm a 53 year old male who was injured about a year and a half ago resulting in 2 herniated discs and sciatica. I've lost about 15% of muscle mass in my left leg, constant spasms, and off and on incredible pain that is only suppressed by meds. Been through rehabs, spinal steroids, short of surgery which boasts only a 60% chance of success, no relief in sight. I am considering the surgery now yet worried about the results. Chances are, my active life (surfing, windsurfing, hiking) including my sales profession (walking a sales floor) may be coming to an end. My question is, if the results of the surgery are nill, and I remain the same, do I qualify for SS disability? Freaked at the prospect of being out of work as I heal and the results thereof.

Thanks,

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I'm a 53 year old male who was injured about a year and a half ago resulting in 2 herniated discs and sciatica. I've lost about 15% of muscle mass in my left leg, constant spasms, and off and on incredible pain that is only suppressed by meds. Been through rehabs, spinal steroids, short of surgery which boasts only a 60% chance of success, no relief in sight. I am considering the surgery now yet worried about the results. Chances are, my active life (surfing, windsurfing, hiking) including my sales profession (walking a sales floor) may be coming to an end. My question is, if the results of the surgery are nill, and I remain the same, do I qualify for SS disability? Freaked at the prospect of being out of work as I heal and the results thereof.

Thanks,

Nobody here can really predict whether or not you'd be approved.

One thing is for sure though - you have no chance if you don't apply!

Onderzoek

Since you have been out of work for over 12 months, you should apply. But the hurdle you have to get over is whether or not you are mentally and physically capable of a sedentary or light job, sitting six to eight hours a day. I am not going to attempt a guess at that answer.

The reason you should file now is that you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow and SSDI benefits can only be paid retroactively one year before application, considering the five month waiting period has already expired. Since your injury was a year and a half ago, you may lose possible benefits by delaying your claim.

Statistically, more claims are denied than approved on the initial level. But claims are also approved every day. There can be a long appeal process. But until you file a claim, you aren't even in line to be paid.

Go to socialsecurity.gov. Read the Blue Book section about musculo-skeletal problems. You can file your claim online. You can hire an attorney to represent you up front and they generally get 25% of any retroactive benefits.

I think you should spend the next few weeks doing as much research as you can so you get a good feel for how this program works. The web sit is helpful; forums are full of people who have been denied and later approved or not. Attorney sites give that lawyer's interpretations of how things work.

So you maybe either have to look for easier work or file for SSDI or do both or live off your savings until you are age 62.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">