• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend moved in whole family and now won't leave. My Brother is dying of cancer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enattitude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My brother has had addictions since he was very young. When 50+ hit, the years of smoking and drinking are taking their toll. He just had his second surgery. If he does not stay away from all the temptations he will die.

My question. His girlfriend of maybe 6 years is taking advantage of him and his generous nature. He sold all he had to buy a house for her. Over the years she has managed to sell off or give away most of his things and not a few he had in storage for family. And as stated above, she has moved in all her kids, their spouses and kids. We are talking about people in their 30's and 40's. Not working. Every time I ask when they are going to help with the money for food, utilities, and rent etc. They are all waiting on SSDI. Ha-I don't think any have disabilities. Brother is going home today and we (his family) feel he should go to a clean smoke-free, alcohol free, drug free and people free home.

Now comes the problem. Girlfriend has convinced him that they can not kick all the kids out because they have established residency. He thinks that he has to hire a lawyer to process eviction notices. At a cost of thousands of dollars. Which he doesn't have. I told him that it seemed to me they are squatters and can just be told to get out. OR - Girlfriend can tell them to leave, NOW, not later.

Does brother need thousands of dollars to get them out? I told him I didn't have a problem driving up and kicking them all out myself. Including girlfriend!!! He is the only one on the Mortgage and house.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I do plan on calling the Sheriffs office and see what they say as well.

Thanks,

M

Last edited:

STEPHAN

I told him I didn't have a problem driving up and kicking them all out myself. Including girlfriend!!!
"Self-Eviction" would bring you in serious trouble.

Your brother has to give proper notice and then follow the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (ARLTA).

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My brother has had addictions since he was very young. When 50+ hit, the years of smoking and drinking are taking their toll. He just had his second surgery. If he does not stay away from all the temptations he will die.

My question. His girlfriend of maybe 6 years is taking advantage of him and his generous nature. He sold all he had to buy a house for her. Over the years she has managed to sell off or give away most of his things and not a few he had in storage for family. And as stated above, she has moved in all her kids, their spouses and kids. We are talking about people in their 30's and 40's. Not working. Every time I ask when they are going to help with the money for food, utilities, and rent etc. They are all waiting on SSDI. Ha-I don't think any have disabilities. Brother is going home today and we (his family) feel he should go to a clean smoke-free, alcohol free, drug free and people free home.

Now comes the problem. Girlfriend has convinced him that they can not kick all the kids out because they have established residency. He thinks that he has to hire a lawyer to process eviction notices. At a cost of thousands of dollars. Which he doesn't have. I told him that it seemed to me they are squatters and can just be told to get out. OR - Girlfriend can tell them to leave, NOW, not later.

Does brother need thousands of dollars to get them out? I told him I didn't have a problem driving up and kicking them all out myself. Including girlfriend!!! He is the only one on the Mortgage and house.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I do plan on calling the Sheriffs office and see what they say as well.

Thanks,

M

You're about to get yourself into a whole heap of trouble. Read Stephan's post, and don't even think about bullying them into leaving - they have more rights than you think.

The Sheriff can't do a thing at this point.

enattitude

You're about to get yourself into a whole heap of trouble. Read Stephan's post, and don't even think about bullying them into leaving - they have more rights than you think.

The Sheriff can't do a thing at this point.
I don't think I would really do anything stupid. I am just so pissed.
So her family really has a right to freeload with my brother. They are already facing foreclosure and bankruptcy.
Are they really squatters?
Maybe that will be a way to get them out! ;)

Proserpina

I don't think I would really do anything stupid. I am just so pissed.
So her family really has a right to freeload with my brother. They are already facing foreclosure and bankruptcy.
Are they really squatters?
Maybe that will be a way to get them out! ;)

By this point they're probably tenants and he'll have to deal with them the legal way.

On a different note, my condolences to you and your family. Obviously it's going to be a very sad time, and quite honestly this is the last thing you all need. Blessings to you all.

enattitude

By this point they're probably tenants and he'll have to deal with them the legal way.

On a different note, my condolences to you and your family. Obviously it's going to be a very sad time, and quite honestly this is the last thing you all need. Blessings to you all.
Thank you so much for your thoughts. Yes, a sad time. I do feel that an intervention might give him a fighting chance, but as long as she and her family are in the house he will not kick the alcohol and smoking. And therefore the cancer will continue to spread. No guarantee that a clean life would stop it, but a fighting chance at least.

So if we, the family, can't do anything to change the situation, then it is time to let go. :(

enattitude

"Self-Eviction" would bring you in serious trouble.

Your brother has to give proper notice and then follow the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (ARLTA).
Stephan, thank you for all your thoughts. I still do not understand how they can be tenants without paying rent?

But if it is time to let go, then I will do so. I just hate wasted lives!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He sold all he had to buy a house for her.
Who actually owns the house? Who is on the title/deed?

Perhaps one of his family members can offer to bring him in to their home instead of him having to return to a toxic environment such as that?

enattitude

Who actually owns the house? Who is on the title/deed?

Perhaps one of his family members can offer to bring him in to their home instead of him having to return to a toxic environment such as that?
The house is in his name only. So far. I am his sister and can't really take him in. (I have my own medical issues now), his father is much too old and on SS. The other brother is struggling himself. What a family-eh? Only daughter has just fixed her marriage and has three small children.

I had hoped we could get him into an inpatient rehab, do a short sale on the house before the bank takes it and then see how things went 3 to 6 months from now.

Unless "girlfriend" gets her talons out, we don't have a chance. She can give him the one thing we can't. :eek:

Thanks for your reply.

enattitude

Does your brother WANT to do a short sale?
Sorry, Life called.

At this point I don't think he knows what he wants other than being rid of the leeches. So I guess he wants what girlfriend says he wants. I am deathly afraid he will end up homeless.

Sigh

enattitude

As I said before, they are facing foreclosure anyway. The bank already put them on notice. "She" thinks if he files bankruptcy it will make it all better. IMO it will just postpone the inevitable.

I would Really like to get back to the legal side of it. Does he or anyone have the ability to make the family leave? Our Father does have POA for him.

So that question remains.

Last edited:

Zigner

As I said before, they are facing foreclosure anyway. The bank already put them on notice. "She" thinks if he files bankruptcy it will make it all better. IMO it will just postpone the inevitable.

I would Really like to get back to the legal side of it. Does he or anyone have the ability to make the family leave? Our Father does have POA for him.

So that question remains.
He should file for an eviction. He doesn't HAVE to pay a lawyer to do it, but it sounds like it might be the best way to do it.

Zigner

Sorry, Life called.

At this point I don't think he knows what he wants other than being rid of the leeches. So I guess he wants what girlfriend says he wants. I am deathly afraid he will end up homeless.

Sigh
If he sells the house, he's going to be homeless...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">