• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

going in circles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djabr21904

md.....my son has spastic cerebral palsy. He was receiving SSI, & I was his payee. He turned 18 in oct, & they sent a letter stating in Nov he'd get a paper check, then he can sign up for direct depisit. Well his Nov 3rd check has nit arrived. He would have to csll, asking for a replacement check, would I be able to tell them what happened & have my son verify his info? He isn't able to say much more than his name, address & ss# as long as I sit with him & have the info written down. Will they let me do this?

Kit Cat

You might wish to give it another day or two, it could take a paper check a few days to arrive.

If you are still his representative payee, you would be able to call on his behalf and ask any questions or discuss his account.

I do not know what happens with a payee when someone turns 18 - if they stopped you being the payee, then it would probably best to go to the local office with your son and request to become his representative payee again.

If you continue to not get the check, you can also contact the office of your congressperson and tell them your son's disability check did not arrive. They may be able to assist you. If there are dire financial circumstances - such as homelessness or at risk for eviction or foreclosure - mention this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">