• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to school online while on SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garden2107

Hi, I am currently on SSD. My findings with social security were degenerative disc disease of the spine, bilateral degenerative joint disease of the hips, and bilat carpal tunnel syndrome. I wanted to go to school full time online, but someone had mentioned if I did I could loose my SSD since it would show I am able to "work" and spend time doing so? I feel that I should be able to and not loose SSD since these conditions cannot get better, also online, I would be pacing myself, not doing the average amount as other people would be. So I wanted to check if I can attend school and not worry about loosing SSD.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hi, I am currently on SSD. My findings with social security were degenerative disc disease of the spine, bilateral degenerative joint disease of the hips, and bilat carpal tunnel syndrome. I wanted to go to school full time online, but someone had mentioned if I did I could loose my SSD since it would show I am able to "work" and spend time doing so? I feel that I should be able to and not loose SSD since these conditions cannot get better, also online, I would be pacing myself, not doing the average amount as other people would be. So I wanted to check if I can attend school and not worry about loosing SSD.
What did the SSA folks say when you called and asked them your question? :cool:

OHRoadwarrior

Wasting money going to a college online is bad enough unless it is a real program that will lead to a future. Showing you can do the work at a computer to accomplish the degree will likely be deemed evidence you can do the same thing sitting at a computer working in a real job.

Onderzoek

What is your purpose in going to school full time, part time, online, or in the classroom? That is the first question. If the goal is to get a degree or certification that might lead to a job that you could do, you should probably research SSA's work incentives, especially Ticket to Work, and use the work incentives to your advantage. If your goal is to just be challenged or just learn something new, then going to school in a building or online will demonstrate that you can sit, stand, concentrate for however long you do it. Does either one prove that you have significant medical improvement? I think it only proves that you can do what you can do. And none of us know how much that is.

So how are you going to pay for it? Can you afford it? If you are not going to look for work afterwards, do you really want to go into debt or expect free education? Now maybe you just want to learn art appreciation or creative writing or American history or accounting for your personal improvement. Probably won't show you can go back into the work force.

So getting education may or may not impact anything about your disability benefits. No way to predict. If you are afraid, then maybe you shouldn't do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">