• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

government assistance for insane family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rickbb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
It is possible I posted this problem in the wrong section. Please move if I did.
My brother has been slowely going insane for many years. The entire family knows this except him. He has a grown son and a daughter, a 84 year old mother, 1 sister, and me his only brother. He needs to be committed so he does not hurt himself. He is incapapable of taking care of himself. We have had the police over to his house and he talks sensable to them so they say he is OK. We have been to the welfare office and got him some food stamps but we cannot seem to be able to to whatever it takes to have him evaluated by someone who can really help him. We have been back and forth with government agencys with no help. he is living in a house in northern michigan with no heat or electic service. He will lose his house soon. He will not allow anybody in his house but his sister. he has a good job but refused to go to work ,... I could fill this page with his dilusions but that makes no sense. His wife divorced him before she new he was mentally sick several years ago and remarried. What can we do?

BL

http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=219&Itemid=153

I don't know ,there are many homeless folks with mental illness.

I guess it all depends on the factors of the individual.

commentator

If he is still good enough to convince the police he's all right, there may be very little the family can do about him. There aren't a whole lot of homeless mentally ill people wandering around in northern Michigan, though there is some climate change going on. They still don't wander around up there too long, they tend to freeze to death. This OP should keep a very good eye on his brother, and when he reaches the state that he can't keep himself warm and fed, then he's ready for someone else to get health care guardianship. This is often very difficult and tricky with mental illness, which is why many of the mentally ill homeless are wandering around out there even though they have families who love them and have tried a lot of ways to help them. Does brother have a doctor? If he can get food stamps, he should be able to get health care to some extent through medicaid, and a good doctor's evaluation would go a long way in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">