• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent interference - SS fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Onderzoek

Generally, a 16 year old could be named their own payee if they prove they are emancipated and living on their own. Or are 17 1/2.

Hopefully you have a separate bank account for the direct deposit of the survivor benefits and can show that you have saved it all and that it matches with your annual payee accountings. You can show this to the SSA office. I am assuming there is no court order for custody since you are a natural parent, but if you have any documents (school records sent to your house) showing that the 15 year old still lives with you and not the grandmother. You should file to be named payee again, and possibly talk to an office supervisor. A 15 year old should not be named as their own payee. But at this point, it would be helpful for you to supply some documents that support what you say if the grandmother is not telling the truth.

BL

Generally, a 16 year old could be named their own payee if they prove they are emancipated and living on their own. Or are 17 1/2.

Hopefully you have a separate bank account for the direct deposit of the survivor benefits and can show that you have saved it all and that it matches with your annual payee accountings. You can show this to the SSA office. I am assuming there is no court order for custody since you are a natural parent, but if you have any documents (school records sent to your house) showing that the 15 year old still lives with you and not the grandmother. You should file to be named payee again, and possibly talk to an office supervisor. A 15 year old should not be named as their own payee. But at this point, it would be helpful for you to supply some documents that support what you say if the grandmother is not telling the truth.
Yes Ask for a supervisor , get er done back.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This made me chuckle a bit...how does a 16 year old prove that they are 17-1/2?

;):D:p

BL

Back in the days my girlfriend of 25 yrs . ols son when he was about 16 recived SSI to his mother . Grands said to him it's his money. never heard a such a thing. So kid comes home says he wants his money. Told my GF give it to him. Next month NOT what a seen. He threatened to kill me in the middle of the nite. I still tred to get along. Oh well. I'm just commentating.

commentator

SSI is not the same thing as social security death benefits. And this child apparently got to get in there on her own recognizance at 15 and in one trip, get her checks sent where she wanted them sent. Impressive.

Rick1971

SSI is not the same thing as social security death benefits. And this child apparently got to get in there on her own recognizance at 15 and in one trip, get her checks sent where she wanted them sent. Impressive.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the grandmother may know the social security representative. I have consulted with an attorney, and have been advised to file a fraud report with Social Security, which I have done. Unfortunately, because of privacy laws, I will not know the results of the investigation, unless it is reversed. I have also been advised to request an injunction from the court to keep the grandmother away. This will be done as soon as I try to get the SS thing reversed. My daughter has since received her first payment of nearly $800, and has disappeared. We have not seen or heard from her in 4 days now.

single317dad

I have a sneaking suspicion that the grandmother may know the social security representative. I have consulted with an attorney, and have been advised to file a fraud report with Social Security, which I have done. Unfortunately, because of privacy laws, I will not know the results of the investigation, unless it is reversed. I have also been advised to request an injunction from the court to keep the grandmother away. This will be done as soon as I try to get the SS thing reversed. My daughter has since received her first payment of nearly $800, and has disappeared. We have not seen or heard from her in 4 days now.
It sounds like your daughter was complicit in this scheme all along. A plan to get some cash to get away from home, for whatever reason. Strife within the home with a teenager is not uncommon at all, and seeing a chance to escape with a little cash would tempt many teens.

I hope you find your daughter soon.

I also hope you've contacted the proper authorities about your missing child.

RRevak

Is she with, or is there reason to believe she's with, the grandmother?

Rick1971

It sounds like your daughter was complicit in this scheme all along. A plan to get some cash to get away from home, for whatever reason. Strife within the home with a teenager is not uncommon at all, and seeing a chance to escape with a little cash would tempt many teens.

I hope you find your daughter soon.

I also hope you've contacted the proper authorities about your missing child.
Today is her birthday. She has resurfaced, likely to gather her loot and then disappear again. She is on probation, but it doesn't seem to make any difference with the authorities around here.

Is she with, or is there reason to believe she's with, the grandmother?
No.

single317dad

Today is her birthday. She has resurfaced, likely to gather her loot and then disappear again. She is on probation, but it doesn't seem to make any difference with the authorities around here.

No.
So, it seems there's quite a bit more to this story. Let's start with getting your daughter home:

IC 31-37-2-2
Delinquent act; leaving home without permission of parent, guardian, or custodian
Sec. 2. A child commits a delinquent act if, before becoming eighteen (18) years of age, the child leaves home:
(1) without reasonable cause; and
(2) without permission of the parent, guardian, or custodian, who requests the child's return.
She's a delinquent now. Is she still attending school?

IC 31-37-2-3
Delinquent act; violation of compulsory school attendance law
Sec. 3. A child commits a delinquent act if, before becoming eighteen (18) years of age, the child violates IC 20-33-2 concerning compulsory school attendance.
If not, there's strike two. How about this one?

IC 31-37-2-4
Delinquent act; habitual disobedience of parent, guardian, or custodian
Sec. 4. A child commits a delinquent act if, before becoming eighteen (18) years of age, the child habitually disobeys the reasonable and lawful commands of the child's parent, guardian, or custodian.
Violation of state curfew, maybe?

IC 31-37-3-2
Children 15 through 17 years of age; requirements for detention or custody
Sec. 2. (a) It is a curfew violation for a child fifteen (15), sixteen (16), or seventeen (17) years of age to be in a public place:
(1) between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. on Saturday or Sunday;
(2) after 11 p.m. on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday; or
(3) before 5 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.
Of course, all there are "last resort" type solutions. These are what many people refer to as "incorrigible minor". She'd likely be carted off to juvenile detention if she was charged with any of these offenses. DCS would get involved, and before that's over with you may wish you'd never heard of them. So, what's stopping you from finding your daughter and returning her to your home?

Rick1971

Just thought I would give everyone a last update before I move on.

After contacting the field supervisor at the local SS office and explaining what had transpired, she was dumbfounded. She said it shouldn't have worked the way it did, and she stated she would get with the initial representative to contact me to straighten it out. A day later the representative called, and admitted fault in the entire process. She admitted to not following up on the remarks made by my daughter, as well as her grandmother. They told the rep that she was turning 18 on her next birthday, and would be emancipated. The rep did not verify the age of my daughter, even though she had the information at her fingertips. She admitted that. She also instantly stopped the payments to my daughter while on the phone with me, and immediately redirected the payments back to me. She apologized profusely. I know there should be no excuses as to why the representative did what she did, and I am not going to press it any further. I will let the local office deal with the issue, if they even choose to do so. I have been advised by an attorney to request an injunction from the local court to keep the grandmother away from my daughter, and our personal affairs. This will be my next step to restoring as much peace to the situation as possible. None of this should have ever happened, but it did, and I was persistent to get it corrected. It's easy to sit and armchair quarterback about a situation, but I am more for finding facts, establishing truth, and justice - if necessary.

Thank you all for your input.

Good day.

LdiJ

Just thought I would give everyone a last update before I move on.

After contacting the field supervisor at the local SS office and explaining what had transpired, she was dumbfounded. She said it shouldn't have worked the way it did, and she stated she would get with the initial representative to contact me to straighten it out. A day later the representative called, and admitted fault in the entire process. She admitted to not following up on the remarks made by my daughter, as well as her grandmother. They told the rep that she was turning 18 on her next birthday, and would be emancipated. The rep did not verify the age of my daughter, even though she had the information at her fingertips. She admitted that. She also instantly stopped the payments to my daughter while on the phone with me, and immediately redirected the payments back to me. She apologized profusely. I know there should be no excuses as to why the representative did what she did, and I am not going to press it any further. I will let the local office deal with the issue, if they even choose to do so. I have been advised by an attorney to request an injunction from the local court to keep the grandmother away from my daughter, and our personal affairs. This will be my next step to restoring as much peace to the situation as possible. None of this should have ever happened, but it did, and I was persistent to get it corrected. It's easy to sit and armchair quarterback about a situation, but I am more for finding facts, establishing truth, and justice - if necessary.

Thank you all for your input.

Good day.
Congrats on getting that part fixed and good luck in getting your daughter back home again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">