• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent interference - SS fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rick1971

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My 15 year old daughter receives Survivor Benefits for the death of her mother. I am her father, her legal guardian, and payee for her accounts. I have banked every penny of the money received. My wife and I are rather well off, and don't need it for day-to-day income. Recently, the maternal grandmother went to her high school, caught her on her way to the bus, and requested to my daughter to sign some papers - in a rather big hurry. Being 15, she didn't look at the papers, and signed away. I then received a letter from the Social Security office stating the payments are to be stopped to me, that the social security office found that I am incompetent to be the payee, and awarded my 15 year old daughter full payment of her benefits, which amount to around $800 a month. She has to have an account for them to be deposited into, so fortunately the grandmother co-signed a joint account. The grandmother is broke, and a real nut-case. It is my belief she intends to steal the money from my daughter to use for her own personal self. My daughter doesn't have any clue what she was taken to do, and only told us what had happened. The grandmother told the Social Security office that we were taking vacations and buying vehicles with the money, and not giving it to my daughter. Untrue, as we make a very generous living working. We don't touch the money for ourselves. I save it all for her when she reaches age to manage it on her own. The social security office didn't even bother to ask us what was going on. They just automatically awarded the money to my daughter, and reported that we were fraudulent with the money. My daughter did also say that the representative said while she was there that she was a new employee and had never really had a case like this before.

We are fearful that the grandmother is taking advantage of my daughter for her own financial gain. I am trying to protect my daughters interests, but am not sure, aside of hiring an attorney, of what our next step should be. Do we call the police and have my daughter give a report first? Do we contact a SS attorney first? Do we contact the court, and request a restraining order against the grandmother? Which steps should we take first? We only have a week before the next payment is made, and we are sure it will disappear as soon as it hits the account.

Thanks for your help.

I'mTheFather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My 15 year old daughter receives Survivor Benefits for the death of her mother. I am her father, her legal guardian, and payee for her accounts. I have banked every penny of the money received. My wife and I are rather well off, and don't need it for day-to-day income. Recently, the maternal grandmother went to her high school, caught her on her way to the bus, and requested to my daughter to sign some papers - in a rather big hurry. Being 15, she didn't look at the papers, and signed away. I then received a letter from the Social Security office stating the payments are to be stopped to me, that the social security office found that I am incompetent to be the payee, and awarded my 15 year old daughter full payment of her benefits, which amount to around $800 a month. She has to have an account for them to be deposited into, so fortunately the grandmother co-signed a joint account. The grandmother is broke, and a real nut-case. It is my belief she intends to steal the money from my daughter to use for her own personal self. My daughter doesn't have any clue what she was taken to do, and only told us what had happened. The grandmother told the Social Security office that we were taking vacations and buying vehicles with the money, and not giving it to my daughter. Untrue, as we make a very generous living working. We don't touch the money for ourselves. I save it all for her when she reaches age to manage it on her own. The social security office didn't even bother to ask us what was going on. They just automatically awarded the money to my daughter, and reported that we were fraudulent with the money. My daughter did also say that the representative said while she was there that she was a new employee and had never really had a case like this before.

We are fearful that the grandmother is taking advantage of my daughter for her own financial gain. I am trying to protect my daughters interests, but am not sure, aside of hiring an attorney, of what our next step should be. Do we call the police and have my daughter give a report first? Do we contact a SS attorney first? Do we contact the court, and request a restraining order against the grandmother? Which steps should we take first? We only have a week before the next payment is made, and we are sure it will disappear as soon as it hits the account.

Thanks for your help.
It sure sounds like your daughter did more than sign some papers. Apparently, she went with grandma to the SS office. Have you even contacted the office to straighten this out? That should be your first move. Well, second move. I'd interrogate your daughter about why grandma thinks you're mishandling her money. It's possible your daughter has a little something to do with that. Don't you think the rep asked her any questions about that??

LdiJ

It sure sounds like your daughter did more than sign some papers. Apparently, she went with grandma to the SS office. Have you even contacted the office to straighten this out? That should be your first move. Well, second move. I'd interrogate your daughter about why grandma thinks you're mishandling her money. It's possible your daughter has a little something to do with that. Don't you think the rep asked her any questions about that??
Nevertheless, heading straight to the social security office to get the matter corrected is absolutely what should be done.

commentator

If it was this easy to get a 15 year old teenager to become full payee of their own social security death benefits from a deceased parent, wow, every kid who was getting it would be having a ball! Wish I'd known this when I was getting it! I call complete b.s. on this whole scenario. And it is NOT income based, has never been. "We have a good income and don't need it," or "We were (or were not) fraudulent with the money" isn't an issue. And why, in the name of all, would you not contact the social security office?????

Last edited:

LdiJ

If it was this easy to get a 15 year old teenager to become full payee of their own social security death benefits from a deceased parent, wow, every kid who was getting it would be having a ball! Wish I'd known this when I was getting it! I call complete b.s. on this whole scenario. And it is NOT income based, has never been. "We have a good income and don't need it," or "We were (or were not) fraudulent with the money" isn't an issue. And why, in the name of all, would you not contact the social security office?????
While its possible that this could be a BS scenario, its actually one that I have seen played out multiple times, in multiple arenas. I have never understood why it is apparently so easy to change rep payees, but it happens far more often than you might realize.

Just Blue

While its possible that this could be a BS scenario, its actually one that I have seen played out multiple times, in multiple arenas. I have never understood why it is apparently so easy to change rep payees, but it happens far more often than you might realize.
To my knowledge it is not "legal" for a minor child to deside her rep. payee.

LdiJ

I don't think that she did here either. I think that she backed up grandma's "story" that caused the SSA to make the change...whatever that was. You may not remember but we have had 3 or 4 other cases, on this forum, on just this kind of thing in that last few years.

commentator

Something about this post does NOT pass the smell test for me. The father has legal custody. The grandmother walks the girl into the ss office, and they tell the caseworker (who is new) a bunch of strange stuff about how the father is using the money wrongfully. They walk out, and the girl at age 15 is the payee of her own death benefits. Father still has custody, of course. Huh? This sounds like fantasy world.

Rick1971

My daughter DID go with her, but she told me she told them that we were NOT mismanaging the funds. And I DID go there. They would not even talk to me about it.

Nevertheless, heading straight to the social security office to get the matter corrected is absolutely what should be done.
I did go there. They would not even talk to me about it. All they said was that the office made their decision, and that they couldn't help me.

Please see above two posts.

Why on earth would I come to this forum to post a BS scenario? I needed opinions. That's all I asked for. And it really DID happen, unfortunately.

From everything I have researched on the SS site, this is my assumption too. We were able to talk to my daughter about it last night. She said that the representative at the SS office mentioned that she was new and inexperienced with this type of scenario presented to her. Yet she authorized it anyway. I will certainly be pursuing action towards her.

I have been advised to seek out an attorney to appeal the decision with SS, and to file a restraining order against the grandmother. Possibly charges for fraud/theft too.

Rick1971

Something about this post does NOT pass the smell test for me. The father has legal custody. The grandmother walks the girl into the ss office, and they tell the caseworker (who is new) a bunch of strange stuff about how the father is using the money wrongfully. They walk out, and the girl at age 15 is the payee of her own death benefits. Father still has custody, of course. Huh? This sounds like fantasy world.
We are just as blown away as anyone else.

Rick1971

My remarks about our income was simply to make the case that my wife and I do NOT need the use of this money for our personal selves. It was meant as nothing more that a statement. Many people may attempt to gain control of benefits for their own personal use (which is what I believe the grandmother doing) and that is simply not the case with us. I understand it is not income based. My daughter told us that her grandmother said we were using the funds to buy new cars and take vacations.

Rick1971

My wife and I were able to set down with her last night to talk about this. She admitted she signed some papers without having any idea what she signed. She also admitted that she went to the SS office with her grandmother, but told them we were doing nothing wrong when they asked her about it. We explained the severity of the situation to her, and I believe we convinced her to go to the SS office to tell them she was coaxed to go there, not understanding why, or even knowing what she was doing to herself. Hopefully we can get the office together to get the case reversed.

Silverplum

My wife and I were able to set down with her last night to talk about this. She admitted she signed some papers without having any idea what she signed. She also admitted that she went to the SS office with her grandmother, but told them we were doing nothing wrong when they asked her about it. We explained the severity of the situation to her, and I believe we convinced her to go to the SS office to tell them she was coaxed to go there, not understanding why, or even knowing what she was doing to herself. Hopefully we can get the office together to get the case reversed.
So the Smell Test Failure was quite real. (It always is.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">