• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

has SSI and is Out of country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark24609

From California

I have an 86 year old relative who has aggressive cancer in his bones. He is from Central American and on SSI. He decided to make one last trip to Nicaragua, and he is now too ill to return back to the US. He is going to return as soon as he can. What are the SSI rules pertaining to such a case.

Thank you
Mark

Mark24609

Ssi

This is not Social Security (SSDI) This is Supplemental Security Income (SSI). I know you can reside outside the US with SSDI, but what about SSI

Mark

BL

Mark24609 said:
From California

I have an 86 year old relative who has aggressive cancer in his bones. He is from Central American and on SSI. He decided to make one last trip to Nicaragua, and he is now too ill to return back to the US. He is going to return as soon as he can. What are the SSI rules pertaining to such a case.

Thank you
Mark
If a SSI recipient lives , or stays outside of the Country for more than 30 calendar days , they are not eligible for the period after 30 days .

In any event , no matter how long they are out of the country they should notify SSA .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">