• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HAVE SSDI questions.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4ARMADILLOS

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA.

I have been favored after 3 years of fighting.
my questions are; I recieved a annual statment and it states if i was disabled today, I would recieve (about) $766.00.

1)will this be the amount I will get or do they take some from you just because they are the government?
2) I plan on moving out of state will this change anything?
3) does my child receive half that amount?
4) does the back pay come all at once (lump sum) or do they make it into chunks?
5) how much will my attorney get? I heard $5,500.00
all of the above are things that I have heard and got mixed answers for ......anyone know the correct? thanks A

artchick

Hopefully some answers for you....

I apologize if any of this differs in your particular state- although since it is at the federal level it should not. I am on SSI now- so I can only state what happened to me.
1. The amount of your benefits should be the amount stated (although I never received anything with the words "if I was disabled today" on it.
2. There should be no state to state changes in your ssi.
3. I do not have children- so I cannot answer this.
4. I received it in 2 back payments- as I qualified for both SSI and SSDI. If you only qualified for one it should be in one lump sum.
5. Attorneys in my state can only take a percentage of your backpay, which is agreed apon with hiring them- usually with a form that you have to sign, and that has to be okayed by the SSA.

I am not an attorney- so I do apologize again if anything does differ in your state- this is just what happened with me.

4ARMADILLOS

Re: Thanks For The Reply

CA,
Hello, I get SSDI
thank for the info: I spoke w/my attorney and in this state the Attorneys can take up to $5300. max or 25% of back pay. He also said my child will recieve half of my amount and moving shouldnt change anything. I asked about the tax issue he said ask my CPA, that every one is different. So thats cool! what a process huh??!! thanks again A

Ptrcmcc6

I believe the letter you recieved which stated "if you should become disabled today" is a statement which SS sends to everybody who has ever worked and is entitled to receive SS benefits, whether it be from becoming disabled or retiring at a nice old ripe age. I receive one every year although I am not disabled and am still working. Each year I am able to work, the statement should go up so by the time I am 65 years old (or however old I have to be to retire), I'll have some kind of guideline as to how much my benefits will be each month. My husband has received one every year also which we kind of used as a guideline as to how much he will receive each month as he became disabled as of 1/4/04. It was basically very accurate with the exception of cost of living increases.

What you are waiting for is a letter directly from the SS office stating you have been approved to receive either SSI, SSDI, or both. In my husbands case, he was approved for both because with SSDI, there is a 5 month waiting period from the date of disability. For those 5 months, he qualifies for SSI. He received a letter stating how much SSDI will pay him each month but they won't send any back monies until SSI sends him a retro check for the first 5 months he was disabled. From what I understand, SSDI will then deduct the amount SSI paid him in the lump sum check and send him the balance.

I am not a SS expert but from what I've been going through the past 2 years waiting for him to be approved, this is the information I have gathered so far. If there is anybody who is more experienced in this and if I have stated anything wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Ptrcmcc6

Cushie

I receive a set amount each month, and my children receive an amount over and above what I receive. For example, say I get $500 a month. Child A and B both receive $100 each per month. Your SS statement should detail what your child/ren would get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">