• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner/Disability benefits question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chuzzle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My brother is now legally blind and unable to work. I've suggested applying for disability but he has refused because he is one of three owners of a property in Virginia and he believes he will lose the property and/or his share of it.

How does this work? Is he right?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My brother is now legally blind and unable to work. I've suggested applying for disability but he has refused because he is one of three owners of a property in Virginia and he believes he will lose the property and/or his share of it.

How does this work? Is he right?
If he qualifies for Social Security Disability Benefits (SSDI) then his owning assets is not a problem, as the SSDI benefits are based on what he paid into the system.

If he only qualifies for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) then its problematic if he owns property other than a primary residence.

Onderzoek

when did he become blind (onset)? When did he stop work? How much work did he do before that? How old is he? Was he ever married?

He should file a claim for SSDI today and be sure to state that he is blind because the work requirement is different. If he was blind before age 22 and unmarried, he might qualify for CDB benefits on a deceased or retired parent.

He can also file for SSI and receive an official excess resource denial when he reports the value of all of his non-home property.

Start online at socialsecurity.gov

Chuzzle

when did he become blind (onset)? When did he stop work? How much work did he do before that? How old is he? Was he ever married?

He should file a claim for SSDI today and be sure to state that he is blind because the work requirement is different. If he was blind before age 22 and unmarried, he might qualify for CDB benefits on a deceased or retired parent.

He can also file for SSI and receive an official excess resource denial when he reports the value of all of his non-home property.

Start online at socialsecurity.gov
He stopped working in the past year because his eyes began to fail. He is 54 and unmarried.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">