• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

household income for 4 people

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midnightstar13

MISSOURI I am on SSI DI and mediciad, 67 years age, I am going to sell my house and relocate. so I can be close to my daughter and my 2 grandchildren. I would like for them to live with me. I have several progressive diseases. my daughter has a good job. plus may start getting 375.00 month child support. my question is if they live with me. will it affect my medicaid and SSI? what would the household imcome be without me losing my SSI and medicaid? I know I only have a month to spend the money from selling my house. I might want to rent, if they can live with me. Thanks in advance to all that reply.

Onderzoek

You didn't say how much money you would get from selling the house and what your plan was for that money. Are you just going to blow through $50,000 or $150,000 in a month? What would you buy? If you give your money away (like to your daughter for everything she has done for you her whole life or because she needs it or any reason but a legal debt) you can be penalized for non-payment of SSI for up to three years.

Why not take a few months or a year to live on the money from the sale of your house. You could get back on SSI just because of age, over 65. You don't have to prove disability.

Why don't you get Social Security retirement? You never worked or was never married to someone who worked?

SSI recipients can live with others. SSI will either stay the same or be reduced, depending upon the living arrangements. What matters is whether or not you are paying your share of the food and shelter items.

I think you should discuss this with your local office who can look at your record and make informed answers. Here it is just speculation.

First question: maybe, maybe not
Second question: depends on your state of residence, your other income, and your living arrangements
Third questions: SSI does not stop anyone from living with you.

LdiJ

MISSOURI I am on SSI DI and mediciad, 67 years age, I am going to sell my house and relocate. so I can be close to my daughter and my 2 grandchildren. I would like for them to live with me. I have several progressive diseases. my daughter has a good job. plus may start getting 375.00 month child support. my question is if they live with me. will it affect my medicaid and SSI? what would the household imcome be without me losing my SSI and medicaid? I know I only have a month to spend the money from selling my house. I might want to rent, if they can live with me. Thanks in advance to all that reply.
You are over age 65 so you are entitled to medicare...therefore I do not understand why Medicaid is an issue. Also there is no such thing as SSI DI. There is SSI (supplemental security income) for people who are poor and have not generated enough social security credits and there is regular SS retirement benefits (since you are age 67) for those with credits. Some people do get a combination of both if their credits are small.

You really should get an appointment with your local Social Security office to discuss your issues.

midnightstar13

under 40000 for house

no I receive a social security check' some SSI. [when I was young I worked jobs that wasn't required to pay in social security, I can remember working for 75 cents hour.} I also receive medicare and mediciad. My house is 70 years old. I will have less than 40.000, when it sells. But maybe I can buy a mobile home or a forclosed home. If not I will have to try and get into an apartment. I have no other family except the ones I mention, My checks are just a little over 700 a month. I do talk to my local ss office a lot, and family services, I was just trying to find out maybe, what their policy was before I talked to them, cause I don't do anything definite until I talk to them, My local family s.ervice office is a spend down processing center. they are always nice. when I talk to them; but takes a few days All I want is to spend some time with my grandchildren. While I can. My daughter and I was just talking about maybe doing this today. as I don,t need to be by myself, like I am now, of a night. I have already talked to both offices about selling my house and what I have to do with the money, just haven't talked to them about living with other people.

Onderzoek

Details help with the answer.

If you are going to sell your existing home and use the money to purchase a second home, there is a 3 month home replacement exclusion period. So, selling your home in March 2013, the $40,000 would be excluded from the $2000 resource limit the date of the sale through June 30, 2013 IF you intended to and then actually spent the money on a new home. That includes the cost of moving and needed repairs to the new home. I would suggest opening a separate bank account for that money. This means no stopping of Medicaid or SSI during that three months. If you haven't bought a home by June 30, then you would be over the resource limit on 7/1 and ineligible until you did spend the money.

If you do not intend to buy a new home or change your mind about buying a new home, then the $40,000 becomes a resource the month after your existing home is sold and SSI and Medicaid would stop while you were over the $2000 resource limit.

There are other excluded resources you buy; a vehicle, burial spaces, separate burial funds up to $1500. Need to talk your local office.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501130110

Your Social Security and Medicare would not be affected by selling your house. You may have to pay your own Part B Medicare premiums if Medicaid stops.

As an SSI recipient, you can live with others and still qualify. You always have to pay your share of food and shelter bills. If there are four people in the house (any age) your share of the bills is 1/4 of the rent, gas, electricity, water, sewer, garbage and food. If you live with someone with high rent or high mortgage, your share is still 1/4. As long as you pay your share, you get the same SSI as if you live alone.

As long as your resources are under $2000.

So your plan can work. You just need to finalize it and stay in touch with your local office. Keep all documents, even after you have submitted them. SSA sometimes misplaces documents. I would again suggest a separate bank account for the money from the sale of the house. Just makes it all straightforward and easy to follow. Don't mingle your money with your daughter or anyone else. Too hard to follow.

justin1

You are going to live with your daughter who has a good job, secondly, you are going to sell or rent your house and get some good money as well. Both of these are going to affect your SSI which would also dependon the state you are living in. Better go and fx an appointment with the local social security office.

Just Blue

You are going to live with your daughter who has a good job, secondly, you are going to sell or rent your house and get some good money as well. Both of these are going to affect your SSI which would also dependon the state you are living in. Better go and fx an appointment with the local social security office.
As SSI is FEDERAL, Why does the state matter?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">