• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can we recover uncashed checks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raymond5556

What is the name of your state? Arizona. Both of my parents are about 90 years old and have been receiving their social security checks in the mail for about 25 years. My mother, a housewife all her adult life, has always been secretive about what she did with her checks. Well, now she is hospitalized, unaware of her surroundings and unlikely to recover. While cleaning the house, I discovered most of the checks still uncashed. Is there a way for my Dad, who may need assisted living soon himself, to recover the proceeds of these now expired checks ater Mom dies?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Arizona. Both of my parents are about 90 years old and have been receiving their social security checks in the mail for about 25 years. My mother, a housewife all her adult life, has always been secretive about what she did with her checks. Well, now she is hospitalized, unaware of her surroundings and unlikely to recover. While cleaning the house, I discovered most of the checks still uncashed. Is there a way for my Dad, who may need assisted living soon himself, to recover the proceeds of these now expired checks ater Mom dies?
I'm not sure how you will be able to cash them. You could ask to get them reissued, and deposit them in her bank account, though.

BL

In addition to using our website, you can call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. We can answer specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. We can provide information by automated phone service 24 hours a day. (You can use our automated response system to tell us a new address or request a replacement Medicare card.) If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778.
We treat all calls confidentially. We also want to make sure you receive accurate and courteous service. That is why we have a second Social Security representative monitor some telephone calls.

What you need to report to us
Your responsibilities

If your estimated earnings change
If you move
If you change direct deposit accounts
If a person is not able to manage funds
If you get a pension from non-covered work
If you get married or divorced
If you change your name
If you get benefits because you are caring for a child
If someone adopts a child who is receiving benefits
If you become a parent after you begin to receive benefits
If you have an outstanding warrant for your arrest
If you are convicted of a criminal offense
If you have committed a crime and are confined to an institution
If you violate a condition of parole or probation
If you leave the United States
If your citizen status changes
If a beneficiary dies
If you are receiving Social Security and Railroad Retirement benefits

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">