• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much can a representative payee charge handicapped sister for rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peppy8140

New Jersey
Our handicapped sister is going to live with her (our sister) representative payee, she is going to be charged $450.00 a month and her check is about $600.00 a month. The representative payee lives with a boyfriend who doesn't work and receives a check for his deceased wifes pension, the payee is also on disability and does not work. Between the both of them (payee and boyfriend) they receive quite a bit of money. Can they charge this much for rent and is it possible for my sister to live off the little bit left over? She suffers from cerebal palsy and needs help with all basic needs.

BL

New Jersey
Our handicapped sister is going to live with her (our sister) representative payee, she is going to be charged $450.00 a month and her check is about $600.00 a month. The representative payee lives with a boyfriend who doesn't work and receives a check for his deceased wifes pension, the payee is also on disability and does not work. Between the both of them (payee and boyfriend) they receive quite a bit of money. Can they charge this much for rent and is it possible for my sister to live off the little bit left over? She suffers from cerebal palsy and needs help with all basic needs.
What sort of basic needs ?

Is she otherwise able to live on her own with assistances such as visiting Aid and nurse ?

If so, she may be better off in public housing ,paying 1/3 of her income - receive medical and food stamps .

You may also want to contact Adult protective services to get their thoughts on the rent amount .

Seems a bit high for live in w/ relatives , but not so unusual for the normal rent market .

peppy8140

Thank you for your reply

Sorry for not being more informative.
Basic needs: needs help bathing,can not prepare or cook food,can not do laundry,needs help dressing, walks with a walker, legs are very stiff. Also is on medication, Haldol. (sp?).
Wanted to place her into assistated living but payee stated that would be a resounding no.
Thank You for your time and patience in this matter.
I appreciate any information.

she is going to be charged $450.00 a month and her check is about $600.00 a month.
Have they no shame? This is just a money racket being perpetrated against someone that can't control what's happening here. This abuse IMO. $450 a month is a ridiculous amount. I've rented places that were just a hair higher than that.

This just smells of, "Let's get the free money while we can". Someone needs to kick the sister-payee's butt for being a greedy pig!

peppy8140

If Sister is designated payee what can we do?

we were told by sister (payee) that because our sister would have to move with sister (payee) and that because the home belongs to the boyfriend there would have to be this rent paid. This situation does not set well with me and quite frankly makes me want to do something about it. Again we offered assisted living, but I guess the money is more important.

Do not want to reveal to much on this as it is possible that a certain someone could stumble upon this site. (sister payee is my SIL, I have been married to her brother for 18 years and I was told to mind my own business and that this was between "the family"

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">