• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how will Disability back pay effect my food stamps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rvd42387

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I am expecting a back pay of 13876 from SSI and 3950 from SSDI, now after the lawyer gets her 25% I should be getting 13369

with this money i have to pay
* 9450 dollars in back rent,

* Repay a family member for covering 400 dollars in perscription drug costs for me while i was un insured and without money

* I could really use new clothes and a new bed since ive had the same bed for 5 years and i havent gotten any new clothing in 2 years which I am estimating about 500 dollars total for the bed and clothing,

*I should also get my arrest record expunged from a dismissed DUI when i was 21(I am 25 now) and that is going to cost 300 dollars in filing fees,

So the total spent out of my back pay before i even get it is about 10,700 dollars, leaving about 2700 dollars, Now I am just worried about how this will effect my food stamps every month, If anyone has an answer to this question I would greatly appreciate it as i have been stressing out about it all evening

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I am expecting a back pay of 13876 from SSI and 3950 from SSDI, now after the lawyer gets her 25% I should be getting 13369

with this money i have to pay
* 9450 dollars in back rent,

* Repay a family member for covering 400 dollars in perscription drug costs for me while i was un insured and without money

* I could really use new clothes and a new bed since ive had the same bed for 5 years and i havent gotten any new clothing in 2 years which I am estimating about 500 dollars total for the bed and clothing,

*I should also get my arrest record expunged from a dismissed DUI when i was 21(I am 25 now) and that is going to cost 300 dollars in filing fees,

So the total spent out of my back pay before i even get it is about 10,700 dollars, leaving about 2700 dollars, Now I am just worried about how this will effect my food stamps every month, If anyone has an answer to this question I would greatly appreciate it as i have been stressing out about it all evening
Have you called and discussed this with your case worker? He or she will be able to answer your questions. Depending on how much assistance you get and what kind, the lump sum may or may not be counted.
Very important information: do not try to hide this lump sum payment from your case worker. Social security and the public assistance agencies work together and communicate with each other. It will be discovered and you could find yourself in extremely hot water with both agencies. Oh, and also law enforcement. Welfare fraud is a crime.

CSO286

A new bed? A lot of people have the same bed for way more than five years......most mattresses have 15 or 20 year warranties......

Rvd42387

Oh I know full well not to hide anything from my case worker, the problem is I have been trying to get in touch with her since february 22nd ( try calling 2 times a week and leave voicemails) and I still haven't heard a word from her

As for needing a new bed, I know most matresses have a 15/20 year warrantee but this bed started as my grand mothers who had it for 5 years before she passed in 97, then it went to my brother then it came to me soon after my medical conditions started and its just in bad shape

commentator

Try harder to contact your caseworker. Nobody in the system or outside it gives a hoot what you spend this money on or how bad you need it or when you have had a new mattress, but the food stamp system will certainlyknow you have gotten it. They'll see exactly when you got it and how much it was for. So don't use a weak-water b.s. excuse like "I can't contact my caseworker" and be wasting time on the internet trying to figure out whether or not you'll be able to keep the cash and how much.

Yes, for a while, your assistance will be affected. No one but someone who is involved with your case in the public assistance system of your state will be able to say exactly how. But if you fail to report receiving it, immediately (and keep trying till you reach someone in the system, and keep records, and a trail of evidence of your diligent efforts to do so even if YOUR caseworker is on maternity leave or something) you're going to be committing fraud and you're going to end up with sanctions against you that will involve a long time without any food stamps, if not something worse.

CSO286

Oh I know full well not to hide anything from my case worker, the problem is I have been trying to get in touch with her since february 22nd ( try calling 2 times a week and leave voicemails) and I still haven't heard a word from her

As for needing a new bed, I know most matresses have a 15/20 year warrantee but this bed started as my grand mothers who had it for 5 years before she passed in 97, then it went to my brother then it came to me soon after my medical conditions started and its just in bad shape
Send your caseworker a letter. Easy as pie. Either mail it or drop it off at their office.

Rvd42387

I wasn't planning on keeping anything from them, I was trying to figure out exactly how my benifits were going to be affected,

I was mainly worried about the back rent more than anything else since about 70% of it is going towards that. I ended up calling my case workers supervisor and talked to her all i was told that she will have my worker get back to me and made a note of backpay coming in , and i have written a letter, including a copy of the award letter, a shared shelter statement to re inform them of my rent even though it is still in my file, a notarized letter of back rent owed, and the agreement i signed for the lawyer saying I owe 25% of my total back pay, ,

I am sending all paper work related to money being received and fees being owed, I am more worried about my health care benifits being effected more than anything unfortunately the supervisor i talked to wasn't able to tell me anything related to food stamps, I need the medicaid in order to continue receiving my medication

I am a 25 year old with PTSD and agoraphobia that stems from criminal charges that were placed against me for a crime i did not commit, I am trying to do everything by the books and make sure I do everything right, and only came here because i thought i would get some good advice, instead you posters treat me like a scum bag who is trying to commit fraud, when all i am worried about is if I will be able to get my medication so i can sleep though the night and fight the flash backs

Last edited:

CSO286

I wasn't planning on keeping anything from them, I was trying to figure out exactly how my benifits were going to be affected,

I was mainly worried about the back rent more than anything else since about 70% of it is going towards that. I ended up calling my case workers supervisor and talked to her all i was told that she will have my worker get back to me and made a note of backpay coming in , and i have written a letter, including a copy of the award letter, a shared shelter statement to re inform them of my rent even though it is still in my file, a notarized letter of back rent owed, and the agreement i signed for the lawyer saying I owe 25% of my total back pay, ,

I am sending all paper work related to money being received and fees being owed, I am more worried about my health care benifits being effected more than anything unfortunately the supervisor i talked to wasn't able to tell me anything related to food stamps, I need the medicaid in order to continue receiving my medication

I am a 25 year old with PTSD and agoraphobia that stems from criminal charges that were placed against me for a crime i did not commit, I am trying to do everything by the books and make sure I do everything right, and only came here because i thought i would get some good advice, instead you posters treat me like a scum bag who is trying to commit fraud, when all i am worried about is if I will be able to get my medication so i can sleep though the night and fight the flash backs
Better add paranoia to your list of diagnoses.....We warned you against any attempts at welfare fraud, we told you that the agencies in question talk to each other. No one here said you intended to commit welfare fraud.

commentator

No, you came here looking for sympathy about the real hard time you're having, and somebody to tell you that of course, yes, certainly you'll be able to keep all the money, keep getting your food stamps and your Medicaid and do anything you want, because we said so and heaven knows the advice you get from random people on the internet is better than getting it from the system.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. All we are telling you is that no one but them can tell you how their system is going to deal with you, and that there is no way you can work it so they do not know all about it that you got it and when you got it and how much you got. You not only want all the money and assistance you can get, you want the answers you want to hear, as soon as you decide you want to get them. Thanks for a reminder of why I am glad I do not work in that world anymore.

beckyrusher

I totally understand where you are coming from.
Im going thru a similar situation. Im worried about how my food stamps and medicaid is goign to be affected. Luckily I can get in touch with my case worker pretty easy compared to what you have tried,
You did talk to their supervisor to thats good and it will be recorded in your file.
There might be something on their website about getting disability and food stamps. There could also be a place where you can see if you qualify on their site. In PA they have a do I qualify section where you put in all your info and it will let you know if yes you are ok or no you have too much to qualify.
You have stated you know you have to tell them and thats great but unfortunately no one but that case worker can say how things will be affected for you.
Youre upfront about things and thats good just keep being honest about what you have to put out and keep trying to get in touch
I would call everyday 2 or 3 times a day
become a pain and they will get back to you
Its not fun being a pain but sometimes you have to

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">