• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How will moving in together affect my boyfriend's SSI/SSDI?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marci

We live in Massachusetts and are moving in together. I have 3 children that I solely support. (I receive no child support but do have a court order for it) My oldest is severely autistic and does not qualify for SSI/SSDI because I earn too much money. Will he lose his benefits if we live together? Should he just "rent" a room from me instead? I can not afford to support him as well as my children.

BL

We live in Massachusetts and are moving in together. I have 3 children that I solely support. (I receive no child support but do have a court order for it) My oldest is severely autistic and does not qualify for SSI/SSDI because I earn too much money. Will he lose his benefits if we live together? Should he just "rent" a room from me instead? I can not afford to support him as well as my children.
His SSDI will be secure ,

His SSI would most likely be reduced some if living with others.

Do not represent or go around as if you were a couple or married .

He would represent that he buys and prepares his own meals .

Yes,you could rent a room instead avoiding the pitfalls.

Onderzoek

Which room is he going to rent? A separate one from you and just visit your room once in awhile??? I think if you represent that he rents a room from you that both of you would be making false statements. Room rental denotes a business arrangement, not a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

He could also contribute his share of your household expenses since you and he and the children are all roommates. That sounds more honest.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835160!opendocument

BL

Which room is he going to rent? A separate one from you and just visit your room once in awhile??? I think if you represent that he rents a room from you that both of you would be making false statements. Room rental denotes a business arrangement, not a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

He could also contribute his share of your household expenses since you and he and the children are all roommates. That sounds more honest.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835160!opendocument
More honest. Yes,I agree.

Legally ,it can be done the way I posted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">