+ Reply to Thread

How will moving in together affect my boyfriend's SSI/SSDI?

We live in Massachusetts and are moving in together. I have 3 children that I solely support. (I receive no child support but do have a court order for it) My oldest is severely autistic and does not qualify for SSI/SSDI because I earn too much money. Will he lose his benefits if we live together? Should he just "rent" a room from me instead? I can not afford to support him as well as my children.

Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    We live in Massachusetts and are moving in together. I have 3 children that I solely support. (I receive no child support but do have a court order for it) My oldest is severely autistic and does not qualify for SSI/SSDI because I earn too much money. Will he lose his benefits if we live together? Should he just "rent" a room from me instead? I can not afford to support him as well as my children.
    His SSDI will be secure ,

His SSI would most likely be reduced some if living with others.

Do not represent or go around as if you were a couple or married .

He would represent that he buys and prepares his own meals .

Yes,you could rent a room instead avoiding the pitfalls.

Which room is he going to rent? A separate one from you and just visit your room once in awhile??? I think if you represent that he rents a room from you that both of you would be making false statements. Room rental denotes a business arrangement, not a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

He could also contribute his share of your household expenses since you and he and the children are all roommates. That sounds more honest.

[url]https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835160!opendocument[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Onderzoek View Post
    Which room is he going to rent? A separate one from you and just visit your room once in awhile??? I think if you represent that he rents a room from you that both of you would be making false statements. Room rental denotes a business arrangement, not a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

He could also contribute his share of your household expenses since you and he and the children are all roommates. That sounds more honest.

[url]https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835160!opendocument[/url]
    More honest. Yes,I agree.

Legally ,it can be done the way I posted.

We live in Massachusetts and are moving in together.
    Why??

I can not afford to support him as well as my children.
    Then don't let him move in.

+ Reply to Thread