• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inmate filing for SSD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whoops1999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My husband received a 10 year sentence for Agravated Vehicular Homicide. He will be released in December of this year. As of December 2004 he had enough quarters to quallify for SSD. Prior to that time he asked to file for SSD and was told he couldnt file until his release. Social Security says he should have filed then and now he doesnt have enough quarters in the last ten years.

So what are the rules. It doesnt seem fair. He worked all his life and because he did something stupid and went to jail for more than five years he doesnt qualify for SSD.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

He should have filed before when he qualified , then get reinstated once released .

Sounds like he'll have to settle for SSI , if he qualifies .

Whoops1999

Thanks for answering. Are you an attorney.

We did try to file. His prison case worker at the time said he needed to wait. So we did, Now Im trying to help him file since he will be released in December. He will be 58 and is disabled.

Ive talked to six different people at Social Security and got six different answers. The present case manager is no help either. There have been layoffs and they all have double the number of inmates so theyre not in the mood to help anybody.

He does qualify for SSi but I make too much so he would get nothing. In 2004 his SSD would been at least $1700. Not sure about now. I need to know what the law says on this so I can know if its worth our while to get an attorney involved..

BL

We did try to file. His prison case worker at the time said he needed to wait. So we did
Any proof that he was denied to apply ?

Being told something doesn't get it .

He should have at least applied then , no matter what he / you were told .

SSA.GOV

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">