• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internships/foreign work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyboynm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

My brother is getting SSDI. He wants to go back to work and has been going to school to do so. He has been offered a "study abroad" opportunity that he wants to take but doesn't know if it will mess with his benefits. That is because he will have a paid internship as part of his financial aid package. How will this affect his disability?

If he does work in a foreign country, is there an income limit he needs to worry? How does Social Security Disability look upon foreign income?

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

My brother is getting SSDI. He wants to go back to work and has been going to school to do so. He has been offered a "study abroad" opportunity that he wants to take but doesn't know if it will mess with his benefits. That is because he will have a paid internship as part of his financial aid package. How will this affect his disability?

If he does work in a foreign country, is there an income limit he needs to worry? How does Social Security Disability look upon foreign income?

If he is getting SSDI as you say, it means there was a time when he was working and paying Social Security taxes and then was no longer able to work because of a severe physical or mental condition that prevented him from being gainfully employed. You don't say what that condition is. You don't indicate if his ability to go to school and then travel overseas and perform an internship means that he is no longer severely disabled or not.

You also don't define "mess with his benefits".

Foreign remuneration for work is wages and may or may not be part of a trial work period.

Not nearly enough information to make a good guess.

LdiJ

If he is getting SSDI as you say, it means there was a time when he was working and paying Social Security taxes and then was no longer able to work because of a severe physical or mental condition that prevented him from being gainfully employed. You don't say what that condition is. You don't indicate if his ability to go to school and then travel overseas and perform an internship means that he is no longer severely disabled or not.

You also don't define "mess with his benefits".

Foreign remuneration for work is wages and may or may not be part of a trial work period.

Not nearly enough information to make a good guess.
He really needs an appointment with the local social security office to discuss the matter.

flyboynm

I do not have all of the information that you asked. I know that when he is in a situation where he is put under pressure, he rapidly falls apart and stops functioning - he cannot do anything because of panicking. As he says, if he loses it at work, he loses his livelihood. If he loses it at school, he only loses a score - he cannot be fired from school.

I told him to go to the Social Security Office and discuss the matter.

Onderzoek

I do not have all of the information that you asked. I know that when he is in a situation where he is put under pressure, he rapidly falls apart and stops functioning - he cannot do anything because of panicking. As he says, if he loses it at work, he loses his livelihood. If he loses it at school, he only loses a score - he cannot be fired from school.

I told him to go to the Social Security Office and discuss the matter.
He should bring all documents that pertain to this paid internship. There are no doubt details in there that would be helpful to the employee that he talks to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">