• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Checking Account & SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Migr32

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

So my bf is on SSDI, He has been for about 10yrs. (Long story long list of conditions, never will get better just progressively worse)

Currently he works 10-15hrs (somes 4-8 depending on how he feels) a week just to get out of the house at a basic cashier job. Last year we moved in together and got a joint checking account to make paying the bills easier.

I work fulltime and sell items on Ebay for extra cash. My question is since it is a joint checking account if he gets audited or SSDI starts digging around will my extra income count towards his or do they just count his income from his pt job?

I read somewhere that SSDI Only counts Earned Income from the person, or do they count any income going into a checking account even its from my job or ebay (Which is in my name) . Are we able to keep it joint or will we have to separate them.

Any insight would help?

Proserpina

So my bf is on SSDI, He has been for about 10yrs. (Long story long list of conditions, never will get better just progressively worse)

Currently he works 10-15hrs (somes 4-8 depending on how he feels) a week just to get out of the house at a basic cashier job. Last year we moved in together and got a joint checking account to make paying the bills easier.

I work fulltime and sell items on Ebay for extra cash. My question is since it is a joint checking account if he gets audited or SSDI starts digging around will my extra income count towards his or do they just count his income from his pt job?

I read somewhere that SSDI Only counts Earned Income from the person, or do they count any income going into a checking account even its from my job or ebay (Which is in my name) . Are we able to keep it joint or will we have to separate them.

Any insight would help?

No, only his income is counted for the purposes of SSDI.

If he was on SSI, that answer would likely be different.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Any insight would help?
SSDI is based on work history. BF needs to keep track of how much money per month he is making currently; this could affect his benefits.

SSI is needs based (federal welfare). All the money coming into a household is considered.

The United States Social Security Administration

Onderzoek

Any insight would help?
He needs to report his work activity for SSDI, if he hasn't done so already. He needs to complete a Work Activity Report, SSA 821 and submit all of his pay stubs. and SSA will find out eventually so it is better to be up front about it. Keep copies of all documents submitted to SSA and get a receipt.

He does not have to report your wages.

If this was SSI, every penny could count.

Migr32

That we do already, every few months we make copies of his paystubs and send them in. (they are veryyyyy much so under the monthly limit so no issue there) just was wondering about if them counting my income or not. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">