• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint ownership of property by SSDI recipient

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaulMc

What is the name of your state? California
I am conservator for my mother and brother. My brother gets SSDI. My mother and brother co-own a mobile home which is to be his residence when remodeling is complete. My brother is in serious health jeopardy, and may pass away within a year or two. My mother is 84, health is ok. If one passes before the other, the other gains possession of the mobile home. If my mother passes first, the mobile home goes to the brother. If he then passes, I am assuming Social Security will force the sale of the home to recapture money spent for his SSDI and medical bills spent during long hospital stays. Now if my brother passes first, the trailer goes to her. Will SSDI claim the trailer in that case?
Thanks for any advice.

BL

Your brother should be receiving Medicare , and possibly other State heath assistances .

If the State pays medical bills , that wouldn't ordinarily be covered , and medical reimbursement is owed , the State would put a lien on the property . When it's sold , they would be paid .

A form would be signed by the beneficiary , allowing the lien .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">