• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judge approved me, now SSA says I have to go to a meeting to see if I qualify..?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confusd

Colorado

I received my letter from the judge with a "favorable" decision. Now I get a letter from the SSA telling me I have to go to the SS office and see if I qualify for SSI. But the judge already gave me a favorable decision. What is this meeting? What do I tell them ? Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

justalayman

If it was not a letter of review of the judges decision by the Appeals Council (I believe the letter would have stated if it was), while I'm not certain but I suspect the meeting at the SSI office is to determine if you are financially qualified to recieve SSI. The judge determines medical qualifications (subject to review by the Appeals Council). The SSI personnel then have to review your financial conditions and determine if you qualify for SSI on that basis.

Onderzoek

Colorado

I received my letter from the judge with a "favorable" decision. Now I get a letter from the SSA telling me I have to go to the SS office and see if I qualify for SSI. But the judge already gave me a favorable decision. What is this meeting? What do I tell them ? Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
The ALJ just made a finding that you are disabled. It is the local office that will determine your payment amounts and that is by verifying your income, resources, and living arrangements since the date of filing. Expect this kind of income, resource and living arrangement review once every year or so. Also, it will be YOUR job to report the changes that affect payment.

SSI payments can change every month if your income, resources or living arrangements change. They can also stop for many months or you can be assessed an overpayment if you don't report the changes that affect payment. When you get SSI letters, READ THE ENTIRE NOTICE. Try to understand. Ask questions. Be proactive in reporting events that affect payment.

Pretty much any money received from anywhere else will affect SSI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">