• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

just approved for ssdi should i also apply for ssi?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathleen57

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida

I was just recently approved for SSD after a 4 yr battle (to anyone who has gone throught that system, you know thats a big tado) My backpay will be reduced since I had to ammend my claim from my 50th BD in order to have a chance for approval so I lost out on over a year of bennies. I"m over that. My monthly, however is just below $600. Our finances are little or nothing now having drained everything while waiting to be approved. My husband was in construction and his profession was the first to be thrown under the bus with the economy collapse so we literally have no assets so to speak. At the time I started my ss claim, I did not qualify for SSI because my husband made too much money then, now is a different story. Can I apply for and get approval for SSI concurrent with my SSD to try to get my monthly benefit raised? I am not sure what the income level is for Florida, but I am sure we are under that. Thanx

Onderzoek

You can apply or reapply for SSI at any time. The finding of disability for SSDI can be "adopted" to the SSI claim as long as you are not in the middle of a CDR (continuing disability review). The SSI claim is not retroactive any earlier than the month of filing, so a decision would be made regarding July 2010 and ongoing about your income, resources and living arrangements.

SSI will be asking many questions about income, resources and living arrangements and you will need to provide evidence about most of it. This includes bank statements, pay stubs, rental agreements, etc. You should be asked how you are currently meeting your living expenses. You and your husband either have some kind of income or your are getting help from other people. All of that will be factored in to how much you can get from SSI.

Sounds like you are expecting a lump sum from SSDI. That money is excluded from the $3000 resource limit for SSI for 9 months from receipt. On the first day of the 10th month, it is a resource, but you may have spent it by then. Also, your husband's income affects your SSI eligibility on a MONTHLY basis. So if he gets an extension in unemployment, or a good paying short term job, or any other bump up in his income, that can affect the SSI you get either that month or two months later (complex computation). To prevent or reduce the chance of SSI overpayment, it is really important that you report your husband's income every month. Your local office can explain how they want you to do that.

A 401k or IRA owned by your husband will be excluded from resources. But a 401k or IRA owned by you will be a countable resource.

Call 1-800-772-1213 and make an appointment. I'd suggest doing the claim in person so hopefully the interviewer can show you how the computation works. Be sure to bring proof of all income, resources and living arrangements. You may also want to bring 1099's for 2009 because if you are approved for SSI, transactions that create 1099's in the year before SSI and any subsequent SSI year will be reported to the Social Security Administration. This is to be sure that you are not hiding assets or that you have given away money in order to qualify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">