• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just wondering if my brother should apply for disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebaumbum

Texas. My brother suffers from diverticulitus. A few years back he had a section of his intestines removed after they ruptured. He then had multiple hernias after that and had to get them fixed. came down with diabetes. He can't lift anything very heavy. Gets tired very easily. suffers from anxiety attacks and depression. Just wondering if he has a case for filing for disability. He has been a teacher on and off, but never seems to be able to keep the jobs for one reason or another. I think it's just he doesn't have the strength for it. Last time they said it was because he didn't turn in paper work on time. But principal said he was great with the kids and was doing a good job teaching, I mean, they had cameras in the classroom, it was an alternative center for drug offenders. Idk, i just don't think he has the energy anymore for a 9to5.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Texas. My brother suffers from diverticulitus. A few years back he had a section of his intestines removed after they ruptured. He then had multiple hernias after that and had to get them fixed. came down with diabetes. He can't lift anything very heavy. Gets tired very easily. suffers from anxiety attacks and depression. Just wondering if he has a case for filing for disability. He has been a teacher on and off, but never seems to be able to keep the jobs for one reason or another. I think it's just he doesn't have the strength for it. Last time they said it was because he didn't turn in paper work on time. But principal said he was great with the kids and was doing a good job teaching, I mean, they had cameras in the classroom, it was an alternative center for drug offenders. Idk, i just don't think he has the energy anymore for a 9to5.
Sure, why not? It doesn't cost anything.

Other than that, nobody here could even venture to guess whether he'll be approved or not.

Kit Cat

If he is unable to keep a job, it is a good idea to apply. It will give him security for the future.

For the mental health, he needs to start seeing a psychiatrist or psychologists regularly and always tell them ALL his symptoms, limitations and struggles at EVERY APPOINTMENT.

do not go to a counselor or therapist.

For his physical health, do the same thing with an MD. Make sure it is an MD not a nurse or physicians assistant.

again, regular good doctors appointments.

he can apply now, or wait until he has built up some good doctors records and then apply. he cannot apply if he is earning more than $1,130 per month. if he is working at all it is harder to get approved.

Kit Cat

Why not?

Why not?
My apologies.

I think I wrote that the wrong way. :)

Yes, of course you can go to a counselor or therapist, BUT....

SSA won't consider that an acceptable medical source. Those records can support your case, but they can't win your case on their own.

Also true for nurses and physicians assistants.

Right now acceptable medical sources are MDs, DOs, psychiatrists and psychologists.

There are new regulations that are coming out that may add nurse practitioners for people who start their application after Jan 2017.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">