• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation & SSI Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lepeep

I'm on SSI because of my permanent physical disability, but I receive very little money because of my spouse's income.
If I was to file for legal separation from my spouse, and we are not longer living together, will my SSI payments increase or stay at the same level afterward?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

I'm on SSI because of my permanent physical disability, but I receive very little money because of my spouse's income.
If I was to file for legal separation from my spouse, and we are not longer living together, will my SSI payments increase or stay at the same level afterward?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Benefits are bases on household income for SIS .If you were to live alone ,you'd be eligible for the max amount ,if SSI is your only income and no countable assets .

When and if you divorce and possibly receive alimony ,that would affect your SSI.

Go to SSA.GOV and look up SSI informations on what is countable and what is not for assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">