• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Local SSA office won't reply

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xali

SSI claim: Local SSA office won't reply to dispute

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My SSI case is already lasting 2 years. I spent the first 1-1/2 years trying to prove my case medically, which I did, and was found medically eligible for SSI benefits. After that, I had to prove that I was non-medically eligible, which it was a clear-cut, easy case -- or so I thought. But I was denied benefits on those grounds -- non-medical ineligibility -- and was given no explanation of what it was that failed the eligibility test, despite my letters requesting this information and asking the local SSA office to state in writing the rules and regulations I was failing to meet. The SSA office did not provide me with this information. I appealed anyway, and I appealed well within the deadline they had given me. But the SSA office sent me a letter notifying me that my case was dismissed because I had missed the deadline to appeal. I wrote back disputing that claim. In fact I've sent the local SSA office three letters disputing that claim. In my letters I included certificates of mailing for my appeal as well as certificates of mailing for my subsequent letters disputing their claim. I also included a copy of SSA's initial letter of denial showing that the deadline they gave me to appeal is what I claim they gave me, not what they now claim they gave me. I addressed these letters to the district manager. The problem here is that the local SSA office simply won't reply, and it makes no difference that I address my letters to the district manager. I've called the national SSA toll free number and asked how can I report/complaint about this situation and was told that I can't. According to the agent they do not have a system in place for this kind of complaints.

Questions: (1) Would my local SSA office be required to reply to my dispute letter in which I am claiming that my appeal was not late and I am including proof? (2) Would my local SSA office be required to state the eligibility rules and regulations that they claim I have failed to meet in the initial denial? (3) If SSA office is required to address my inquiries and dispute and is not doing so, is there really no entity within the SSA that I can contact for help sort out this situation? If at all possible, I'd like to avoid sharing with a lawyer the two years of back benefit payments that I believe I'm owed.

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My SSI case is already lasting 2 years. I spent the first 1-1/2 years trying to prove my case medically, which I did, and was found medically eligible for SSI benefits. After that, I had to prove that I was non-medically eligible, which it was a clear-cut, easy case -- or so I thought. But I was denied benefits on those grounds -- non-medical ineligibility -- and was given no explanation of what it was that failed the eligibility test, despite my letters requesting this information and asking the local SSA office to state in writing the rules and regulations I was failing to meet. The SSA office did not provide me with this information. I appealed anyway, and I appealed well within the deadline they had given me. But the SSA office sent me a letter notifying me that my case was dismissed because I had missed the deadline to appeal. I wrote back disputing that claim. In fact I've sent the local SSA office three letters disputing that claim. In my letters I included certificates of mailing for my appeal as well as certificates of mailing for my subsequent letters disputing their claim. I also included a copy of SSA's initial letter of denial showing that the deadline they gave me to appeal is what I claim they gave me, not what they now claim they gave me. I addressed these letters to the district manager. The problem here is that the local SSA office simply won't reply, and it makes no difference that I address my letters to the district manager. I've called the national SSA toll free number and asked how can I report/complaint about this situation and was told that I can't. According to the agent they do not have a system in place for this kind of complaints.

Questions: (1) Would my local SSA office be required to reply to my dispute letter in which I am claiming that my appeal was not late and I am including proof? (2) Would my local SSA office be required to state the eligibility rules and regulations that they claim I have failed to meet in the initial denial? (3) If SSA office is required to address my inquiries and dispute and is not doing so, is there really no entity within the SSA that I can contact for help sort out this situation? If at all possible, I'd like to avoid sharing with a lawyer the two years of back benefit payments that I believe I'm owed.
Sounds like you NEED to visit in person your local SSA office with all documents you have ,speak to a rep. and possibly have a supervisor look into your case .After that if no results ,you should contact an SSI attorney for a free consult.

Onderzoek

Also, in that stack of letters you have received, there should be at least one paragraph that explains why you didn't meet the non-medical rules.

So, when you visit your office in person, also bring proof of all income and resources and living arrangements you have had for the last 2 years so you can prove you meet the non-medical rules. Bank statements, proof of income, rental agreements, proof of the value of anything you own. If you are married and living with a spouse, you need to bring all the proof about the spouse as well.

You want them to acknowledge your appeal/dispute, but more important, you want to be able to prove you meet the non-medical rules.

This could be a long interview. Go early in the workday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">